*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998268-The-Gathering
by Mermyd
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #998268
Just a rabbling let on by my muse.
They had decided to meet. The word went out and representatives from each of the noble races were coming. They were coming to the ancient meeting ground in the Dragon’s Forest, the only real place of neutrality left. Two representatives one male, one female, I would say man and woman, but that would imply that they were all human. Ten were coming. Most on foot, some by horse, some by flight, but all were on their way.

The humans arrived first. They galloped in on their horses, surveyed their destination and dismounted. One, a knight from Camelot, dressed in mail with his broad sword at his hip. The other, an Amazon warrior dressed in leather, with her sais at her sides and a knife hidden in her boot. Their leaders had sent both, confident of their abilities. They took one last look around then proceeded to start a fire.

Next arrived the elves. Dressed in robes with their bows slung across their backs, they sprinted into the clearing without a sound and slowed to a halt before the humans. By their breath it would have seemed as though the elves had taken a short stroll, instead of just running miles without rest. But such was their way. The woman elf had long strait black hair, and her light green robes almost touched the grass. The male elf had short blonde hair, accompanied with a short dagger at his side. They silently acknowledged the humans and joined them by the fire.

Within the nest few minutes a noise was heard in the forest, just beyond the clearing. With half smiles the elves put their weapons back in their sheaths and waited. A few minutes later two dwarves burst into the clearing. The man had a long bushy beard, and the woman had the whiskers that could grow into a fine mustache. They both carried an axe, but the man carried a hammer as well, while the woman carried a pickaxe. They grumbled about the time at night and settled closer to the outskirts of the fire.

"Did you feel that you had to ware your entire set of armor Riken?"spoke the elf man.

"Aye, I did, Torin. At least if I’m attacked, I’ll be prepared."

"Riken, if you’re attacked, it’s only because your hunter heard you three miles away and had time to plan his attack so that your armor would be of no use."

"Aye, but it makes me feel safer."

The elf and the dwarf continue to share comebacks as the women they came with looked at each other with equal sighs of recognition.

After half an hour, the mages, witches and druids, floated in and landed on the outskirts of the clearing. The druid was an old man, with a long beard and cloak, substantial of his station. The witch, though, looked barely twenty years old. Some would question her abilities, but they would be surprised at what such young a woman could know. The druid looked at the nearest tree, said a few whispers, and one of the tree’s roots came up and formed a seat. The old man sat with the creaking bones of old age, and old knowledge. His young counter part seemed content with the soft grass and sat on the ground. They only had to wait for one more group to come.

After waiting an hour, the group that had formed was encircling the fire and telling tales of the old. In fact, they were so preoccupied, they didn’t notice the merfolk arrive. The lady with silver hair and pale skin, and a dress made from nets and seaweed. On her head there was a coral and pearl circlet, and on her arm there was a net, on her hip a dagger. The merman was wearing a wrap of net and a crown of coral. In his hand he held a trident. The witch was the first to notice them. The meeting finally began.

© Copyright 2005 Mermyd (mermyd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/998268-The-Gathering