|It should go without saying that horror movies should be scary. After all, what's the point of a gorefest if your heart isn't racing and you're too scared to look away as "The Final Girl" is being chased into the woods? Unfortunately, most horror movies leave me shaking my head at the bad makeup, and unbelievable stupidity of the characters involved. Here's a short list of horror movies that are actually scary:
1. Triangle: It's number one because this mindfuck in the Bermuda Triangle is more than your typical slasher. I recommend multiple views to develop your own theory.
2. V/H/S: Who knew amateur camerawork could be so scary? I swear to God, I'm going to run away from the next person who tells me "I like you" with their eyes wide open.
3. Silent Hill: Based on the popular series of video games, the first movie had monstrous nurses and other deformed creatures straight out of a nightmare.
4. Insidious: Remember when horror movies took full advantage of lighting to set the mood? This new release uses it to a T.
5. 1408: I'd bet money that this is the scariest Stephen King movie to date. Instead of a haunted house, the protagonist has to survive a notorious hotel room that exploits his deepest fears.