Writing about what I have been reading and encountering in the media.
| I, like most people who did not vote for our current President, am increasingly at a loss for words. I can’t wax poetic in a slam. When I try to say anything, the images that come to my mind are unspeakable. I look to my friends for support and encouragement. That sometimes helps in that they do say I am still in reality. Oh my! This reality! How do I escape? It is too late to just stop watching, to turn off the TV and stop listening to news on the radio. The callous, racist destruction of our Democracy is going on right around me and I can’t stop it. I can’t forget.
So, I have developed a list of coping mechanisms that bring about temporary reprieve:
1. Focus on what I am doing in the present so completely that nothing else exists.
2. Do yoga.
3. Pet the cat.
4. Write about anything but the you-know-what.
5. Make jokes.
6. Take a walk with my headphones focused on a pleasant novel.
7. Participate in Stand and Resist.
8. Make quiche.
9. Trim my toenails.
10. Did I say pet the cat?
11. Create a community of stuffed animals that say only what I want them to say.
12. Listen to jazz.
13. Walk in the yard looking at the flowers.
14. That is a really good time to pet the cat.
15. When I lay down to sleep, listen to recorded poetry, then, dream of the cat.
Right now, I am going to try once more to write a slam poem. Stream of consciousness is a good place to start… You fill me with hate…. Well, I’ll try again.