*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
4
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038979-What-was-I-born-to-be
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#1038979 added October 11, 2022 at 7:09am
Restrictions: None
What was I born to be?
Prompt 4 for Journalistic Intentions. “Mister…I was born for it.”

I don’t think we are born destined for anything. Babies are a blank canvas, easily steered into mastering anything. Farmer’s children grow up with an affinity for animals, children of sports people are taken to sporting events early in their lives, and given the opportunity to play a sport because that’s what their parents want.
Chess masters teach their child chess at a very young age, tennis champions children have lessons from their parent as soon as they can hold a racket. Yet people say, “ he was born to be…
Opportunity makes champions.
So what do I think I was born to be? I could have been so much more than I am. The reason I say that is because of the very fact I wasn’t given the opportunity to go to a good school or even expected to get more than a rudimentary education. I wasn’t given music lessons or even access to a musical instrument. I left school at fifteen to help in our grocery business.
Maybe I was born to be a mother, but somehow I don’t think I was. When we had our first daughter I felt like a fish out of water for several years. I never felt good enough somehow. When she was three years old I gave birth to twins. I remember the matron at the hospital telling me that God only gave us what we deserved, that I must be have been born to be a mother. I struggled with three children under four with no available help from family who lived in another country.
Our family is large. We have 6 grandchildren now and five great grandchildren. They say I’m the glue who hold the family together and yet I still feel the same doubts about myself.
So what was I born to be? Whatever it was it passed me by.

© Copyright 2022 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1038979-What-was-I-born-to-be