*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069600
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seuzz
Rated: GC · Book · Occult · #2215645
A high school student finds a grimoire that shows how to make magical disguises.
#1069600 added April 30, 2024 at 12:05pm
Restrictions: None
Casting for a New Part
Previously: "School for Paranoiacs

(Written by imaj)

The golem looks up as you slam the basement door behind you.

'Hi boss,' it says cheerily. 'Everything ok?'

Everything is definitely not ok. Eating lunch just highlighted how much your life has changed since you found the book. You desperately wanted to tell Caleb and Keith about it. You wanted friends that you could share your discovery with. Friends that would share your burden.

But that's just it, you can't be sure that they are friends anymore. Either one of them could be Blackwell. You simply couldn't tell them the truth.

It was the right decision.

You keep telling yourself that but your mood is blacker than ever. So dark that even the golem has noticed.

'The silent treatment, huh,' it continues. 'Look Will, basically I'm you. You with boobs and, lets be honest, a much prettier face, but basically you. So when you come in here looking like that, I can tell something's up.'

'Talked to Keith and Caleb today,' you mumble.

'Had a falling out then?'

'No, no not at all,' you reply. 'The opposite, had a great time. Talked about all the things we used to talk about.'

'Ok, am I being dense here,' asks the golem. 'I don't see the problem at all.'

'The problem,' you spit. 'Is either one of them could be Blackwell.'

'Am I always this paranoid,' asks the golem. 'I thought you pinned him down to Cindy Vredenburg.'

'I pinned him down to Lucy Vredenburg. Making a copy of Cindy would be easy from there, but he could be anyone. Fuck. Caleb had a crush on Lucy for years. If she just showed up and asked him to follow her he would.'

'Right,' says the golem slowly. 'So basically you're scared of your own shadow and lonely because you don't have anyone to talk to.'

'Fuck you.'

'Which I take to mean that I'm right. Look, the solution is pretty obvious. You make a friend that you can trust. Look at me, I'll do everything you say. You make a mask, get me into school in it, suddenly you have an instant, reliable friend to talk to.'

'The plan was to get you into school as me. I'd make a mask of someone else and pretend to be them. That way I'd be able to keep an eye on you for when Blackwell makes his move.'

'That could still work,' says the golem. 'You could make a mask of someone who is your friend, or someone who could become your friend. You still get someone reliable to talk to. Plus you get to be friends with Will Prescott, which is great for you because I'm one of the coolest people in school.'

'I'm not sure I like the idea of replacing Caleb or Keith,' you say. 'I'm not even sure how to keep the person I'm replacing out of the way. Blackwell might be a murderer but I'm not.'

'There is another option,' says the golem, throwing the mask of Melody over to you. 'Put this on and translate the next spell. It might help.'

*****


You find being Melody, who has been lonely for years, very calming. It puts your on troubles into perspective. Not having anyone to talk to is something Melody has grown used to, so you find that you don't mind so much anymore either.

The new spell is, in fact, very similar to the last one. Luckily it doesn't require as much graveyard earth or fuel. There might be just enough of both left to cast it without a trip to the graveyard or the shops. There is one component that worries you, however.

'A living body,' repeats the golem.

'That's what I said,' you reply. 'Sounds bad, doesn't it. From what I can tell, the spell will 'make them unable to move, like the rock'. I think the intention is keep people out of the picture and allow the caster to use the masks they've made.'

'But you don't know for sure that it's harmless,' asks the golem.

'This is the best translation I could make. Melody is very clever, so am I wearing this mask. I'm inclined to think the translation is correct and the spell is broadly harmless.'

'If you say so,' says the golem, clearly indicating that it doesn't agree with you. 'So who do you use this completely safe, non-dangerous tried and tested spell on?'

You stare at the golem meaningfully.

'Well, there is Caleb or Keith,' you begin. 'Either would come down here if I asked. I have to agree with you though, we can't be exactly sure what the spell will do and I don't want to hurt my friends. The fact it requires a lock of my hair worries me a little. The question is: What's the alternative?'

'Make a new friend,' replies the golem. 'Someone that you don't talk to at the moment but it would be believable if they became your friend. That's a tricky one though: who? I mean, if you were still talking to Lisa it'd wouldn't be completely unlikely that one of her friends might mellow towards you.'

'I ran into her today, she said hi.'

'At least she's noticing you now,' says the golem. 'Actually, you know what would really make her notice you. A new girlfriend, remind her what she's missing. Hell, you can solve both your problems in one go: Become your own girlfriend. You get close enough to me to watch out for Blackwell. It explains any sudden 'why did she start talking to him' questions. You make so Lisa jealous that when this is all over she'll beg for you to take her back.'

'That is completely gross,' you say.

'Don't deny you're thinking about it,' the golem says accusingly. 'I have your ego too, so you're just as in love with yourself as I am, with as I am with myself I mean. Fuck.'

'I'll admit that last sentiment is partially Melody's,' you reply. 'Your plan doesn't sound so clever from this viewpoint either. Girls don't really think that way. She'd probably just be happy I'd moved on.'

'You said she came over and said hi to you today,' says the golem. 'I think she's interested. Fuck, even if she isn't its still a good plan for the watching me problem. You wouldn't have to risk the spell on your friends at all. Now lets see, who would I want to date' Maria Vasquez maybe?'

'It still has to be believable, so no cheerleaders. And no sex.'

'You aren't the least bit curious. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.'

'Sometimes I find it hard to believe you have my memories and personality at all,' you state flatly. 'I haven't even made a decision yet. It's just another option we have.'

'Of course,' the golem says after a thoughtful moment, 'if you're just looking for someone to try the new spell on, you could try the girl you're looking like now.'

Next: "You or Blackwell?

© Copyright 2024 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069600