*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687011-Old-photographs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#687011 added February 10, 2010 at 1:46am
Restrictions: None
Old photographs
    Why don't we label all photographs immediately? How often have I sat down with a box or pack of great old photos, and didn't recognize the people? Now that all the grandmas and aunts and Mom are gone, I have no resource.
    Some photos have faded with age or turned dark. Some weren't very well taken. But some are exquisite. The perfect pose, the perfect light, or just a capture of a moment in history make them outstanding. The fashions, the hairstyles, and the cars from my youth, and before I was born. But who knows who those people are?
      I wish I had been a photographer. I sometimes see things that I just want to freeze and keep forever. For example, I used to walk my dog after dark in the lake community where my husband and I lived. Depending on the time of year, the moon would peek through the trees and reflect off the water in different places. I thought about taking pictures all year long, and picking out just 4 of the best, one to represent each season. I always loved looking at the "double" moon.
      Another shot I froze in my mind was of a friend sitting in a chair with her 18 year old daughter sitting on her lap. The silhouette of both mother and daughter lined up perfectly, while the light shone from their eyes. It was peaceful and warm and loving.
      One evening, a coworker had pinned her hair up awkwardly in the warm summer evening. As she wrote on her clip board on the counter, the soft light of a Victorian style lamp caught her long slender neck and dangling earrings. It looked like a scene lifted from a bygone era of elegance and grace.
      I wish I had more photos of my grandparents, not just sloppy snapshots, but really nice photos. And one or two more of my late ex-husband. Granted when I'm gone, these photos will mean nothing to anyone else. But they definitely give me pleasure, and make life more beautiful.

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/687011-Old-photographs