*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822599-Success-with-Staycation
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#822599 added July 14, 2014 at 3:54pm
Restrictions: None
Success with Staycation
If I hadn't traveled so much, I wouldn't have known the value of staycations. Travel, especially when it involves the overseas trips, is exciting, exhilarating, and life-changing, but you have to have the stamina to put up with it, which my husband and I did as we enjoyed every minute of our travels and vacations on our younger days.

Up to ten years ago, as if sensing what was to come, our trips became as frequent as they could get. Later on, they tapered off. On our last long trip in 2008, while we were boarding the plane in the Istanbul airport, we had to go through seven checkpoints. We became really tired even before boarding the plane for a 12 hour flight. To this day, I wonder about those check points. Why seven? Isn't once or twice of taking off shoes and emptying overnight bags enough? I understand the threat of terrorism, but what about the passengers?

In spite of all that trouble, looking back, I miss the excitement of the long trips, but we neither have the stamina nor the patience to put up with such a trip anymore; thus, surfaced our staycation, skipping the expense and the stress of travel.

I like staycations now, but to be on one needs creativity and stick-to-itiveness. For any staycation or vacation, all members taking part has to have a say in the plans. Then, while on the staycation, it is important not to get sucked back into business as usual. Another thing that helps is turning off the cell and landline phones, and the internet at least for a few hours in a day, especially if our everyday work depends on those things. For people who keep house on a regular basis, it is a good idea to eat out often and let the laundry pile up. I know it is difficult to bear, but we must remember we are on our vacation. In addition, while planning for local excursions, --be it sailing, fishing, golfing or to the beach, park, or museum-- it is a good idea to make use of the deals, such as going to movies and local theater during the midday when it is cheaper than in the evening.

On the other hand, I think, if counting dollars and pennies is not a problem, why shouldn't I splurge and enjoy myself? After all, I have decided on a staycation, mainly to avoid the hassle and agony of travel. On my staycation, I can do anything I want; mix up my routine, go to bed late, and feel free to be silly and surf the web or read chick-lit all day if I wish. But then, hubby and I are retired, and we're on a perpetual staycation already.

Hence, cheers for our old-age staycation! *Glass5*

-------------------

Prompt: Vacation or Staycation: which do you prefer and why?

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822599-Success-with-Staycation