*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823032-The-GMO-Chew
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#823032 added July 19, 2014 at 5:10pm
Restrictions: None
The GMO Chew
Genetically modified? Should I be hesitant? Difficult concepts to make heads and tails of those, but then, as a result of my self-knowledge, I'll probably make tails of it.

To start with, I am a genetically modified human, since I am a mutt and my blood type is 0+. 0+ blood types have been around since the dawn of civilization, since the hunter and the hunted-hunter era. My hubby's blood type is A+, which scientists claim came later with the farmer-gatherer era. As an aside, this may be my only one-upmanship, but it gives me something to gloat about. Then, since my known, tried-and-true mutt-hood is only of the last century or so, just imagine how much genetic change/modification must have gone into me, with my blood type around for so long.

See, I told you, I'd make tails of it. *Wink*

As to genetically modified food, I'm a fan of globe grapes, which are genetically modified. I'm also happy that when I bite into an apple, a worm doesn't take his hat off to greet me.

My other point is, grievances against GM foods made a big splash first in Europe. As much as I have enjoyed traipsing through Europe in my younger years, I also know that Europe's bark is bigger than its bite, and usually Europe's bark is just wind, speaking in polite company. USA should stand on its own feet, no matter how varied and numerous feet it generates.

To be fair, the studies of the effects of genetically modified corn on Monarch Butterfly Caterpillars show that some harm is hidden in this thing, but then, I don't think I qualify to be counted as a Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar with my 0+ blood type. Besides, GM foods are pest and disease resistant, and herbicide, cold, and drought tolerant, and they help to feed the third world populations that would starve and die otherwise.

On the other side of the coin, their long-term effects are unknown to human health, and they are known to create new allergens for sensitive people. Since their safety factor is still iffy or unproven, I think we should proceed with caution. I also believe GMO products should be properly labeled to give the consumers a fair choice.

Speaking for myself, I am more wary of pesticides on produce and the practice of feeding animal parts to livestock and poultry than my fear of the GMOs. For that reason, I usually purchase free-range grass-fed beef products and organic poultry and greens, and if by chance I eat a GMO product, I don't go into a frenzy. As I indicated above, some GMO products are even desirable for me, until their harm is unequivocally proven.

---------

Prompt: How do you feel about genetically modified food? Should companies be made to label their food if it contains genetically modified ingredients?

© Copyright 2014 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823032-The-GMO-Chew