*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852635
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1960296
The history of Prosperous Snow written for the group Reminiscences
#852635 added June 27, 2015 at 9:12pm
Restrictions: None
Puddle Jumping - Final Draft
Walking home from school after a rainstorm.

I jumped into the puddle soaking my oxfords, white anklets, and splashing water onto the hem of my yellow dress. I stood in the puddle for a few minutes, checking to make sure the school books and papers I held under my rain coat were still dry. It was the first rainy day in April and I was walking home from school by myself.

I looked ahead and to my delight, I saw the water running along the curb and draining into Blackwell's sewers. The water, containing oil and all matter of other litter, was draining into the ground without anyone enjoying its chilly wetness. I ran to the curb and stopped at the edge, then I checked my books to make sure they were secure and half hidden under my unfastened rain coat. I was nine years old and in the third grade. It was the first year I was allowed to walk home from school by myself, so knew I would get in trouble if my books and homework papers got wet.

I stood on the curb watching the water flow into the sew. I then took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and jumped into the flowing water. It splashed all the way up to my waste, but since I used both arms to hold my books against my chest and under my raincoat they remained dry. By the time I arrived home, my shoes, socks, and the bottom of my dress was completely soaks.

My mother sighed and made me change into some dry clothes. After that, she sit me down at the kitchen table with a cup of hot chocolate and made me do my home work. A few minutes later my sister came in, also soaked to the bone; apparently my sister and her friends saw me puddle jumping. To the chagrin of whichever mother was herding them, they decided to follow my example.

Mom sent my sister into the bedroom to change and walked the woman to the door. I sit at the table doing my homework and listening to the two women laughing. The next day was Saturday, Mom took my sister and I shoe shopping. We each received a brand new pair of galoshes, but puddle jumping was not as much fun wearing the rain boots.
© Copyright 2015 Prosperous Snow Valentine (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow Valentine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852635