*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975099-Virginia-is-for-Lovers
by Archie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #758164
This is a catch all area for thoughts and things.
#975099 added February 8, 2020 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
Virginia is for Lovers?
Fornication is an old law on the books in Virginia. Basically, it is illegal in Virginia to have sex with someone to whom you are not married. So, the truth is, Virginia is for married lovers only.

The anti-fornication law is rarely charged, true. The last time it was enforced was in 2015, from what I found. and it tends to be used as a "pile on" charge. That is if you are charged with another related crime, say exposure, if that exposure is with someone else and included intimacy, then that charge was added to add fines, jail time, embarrassment, and so forth. Kind pf like making a mountain of a molehill.

There is a bill in the Virginia state legislature to take that law off the books, again. Maybe this time it will be deleted.

Whatever one's thoughts on extramarital sex is, most agree that iit is no one's business who we have sex with. Morality must not be legislated if the act takes place between two consenting adults.

Well, what about a cheating spouse. There are other laws to take care of that situation. Many laws concerning cheating fall under civil or divorce categories. Such behavior is often covered under pre-marital agreements.

Sex with a minor or a person incapacitated and unable to make a valid decision are protected by other laws and should be prosecuted. Simply having sex with a person willing and able to enjoy the encounter should not be illegal.

The legislature has attempted to wipe the fornication laws off the books, but these attempts have failed in the past. Maybe this time it will happen.

What do you think? I look forward to reading your comments.

© Copyright 2020 Archie (UN: archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Archie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/975099-Virginia-is-for-Lovers