*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978725-Prepare-for-Battle
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #2214457
Here I go down a rabbit hole. What will I encounter? What will I write? Viva l'imagination
#978725 added March 26, 2020 at 10:44pm
Restrictions: None
Prepare for Battle
         PROMPT: There've been many wars and battles. Choose one and write a short story. It must be a tale of how things escalated to the final event!
         
         The Battle of Lundy's Lane aka The Battle of Niagara Falls occurred the 25th of July 1814. It's been described as the bloodiest and deadliest ever fought in Canada. My apologies to the combatants and their ancestors. My paternal family, the Brownlees emigrated to Canada from Ireland and took part in this war. They were farmers, saddle makers and such.
         
         
         
         
         
         As he cleaned his gun for what seemed the thousandth time, Nathaniel griped out loud. "We left Ireland for this? All we ever do is march in circles and jump whenever the British officers tell us to. What are we doing here at The Falls? Those coward Americans ain't fixin' to bother us."
         His brother Joseph grinned and Nathaniel could swear he saw a twinkle in his eyes. He just knew Joe had a plan. Big brother had a well-earned reputation as a prankster. Their mother lamented he could and would get under the skin of anyone alive just to see them squirm.
         "Oh, I think I know how to jumpstart some action. Do you still have a needle and some thread? You can put those sewin' skills to work."
         A few hours later, the brothers were ready to irk some Americans. Joseph stepped out of their tent prancing and mincing, exaggerating a hip sway. He made sure to wave across the border and blow big air kisses to the troops there. The roar of the water made any taunts useless, but he counted on body language to drive home his point. He strutted and swirled. He curtsied to Nathaniel who bowed. They stepped together and mimed a waltz. They were certain that their every move could be seen by the soldiers with looking glasses.
         In their merriment, they could see arms raised as one and open mouths. They sensed the enemy was not pleased. They had the undivided attention they sought.
         Nathaniel scooped up his costumed sibling and tossed him into the roaring river. The savage current tore at his new gown tearing it to shreds. Joseph struggled to shore laughing. They watched as the red, white, and blue material floundered in the churning froth, born towards the American encampment. They had planned to take the flag home as a souvenir, the spoils of war, but this suited their purposes better. No one could ignore the soiling of their nation's flag.
         "Take that and what're ya goin' ta do about that then?"
( 430 words )

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/978725-Prepare-for-Battle