*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993286-The-Kawasaki-adventure-continues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#993286 added September 14, 2020 at 6:50am
Restrictions: None
The Kawasaki adventure continues
Today I drilled out the broken off screws inside the case. Then I used an "Easy Out" into the hole and was able to walk out the broken screw. I now had the three contact points for securing the new stator plate, complete with coils on the engine. In addition the stator coils got tested and appear to be in good shape.

Moving on to bike #3 I decided to take a look at the flywheel side of the case and see if the stator and coil on that bike had been plundered and sold on the internet. The case cover did not want to come off and was held in place by one stubborn screw. The impact driver ruined the head and I was on the verge of grinding it off. My friend, Al, suggested first sharpening a chisel and trying to pound it off. That effort failed and I decided to torque what remained of the head with a vice grip and try and twist it loose. After much angst and muttering it finally gave way and I was able to screw it out.

With that I tapped the case cover with a rubber hammer, wondering what the flywheel was going to look like. My heart sank! It was coated in mud, rust and corrosion. This latest bike has been one disappointment piled on the next. First the carburetor, then the corroded broken off stator screws and now the rusty flywheel. Once we got the case off I chased the threads so I can put on the flywheel puller tomorrow and yank that off. The good news is that behind the rusty flywheel I can see the precious coils... I felt like I was gazing into Tut's tomb.

© Copyright 2020 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/993286-The-Kawasaki-adventure-continues