A Daily Contest Of Horror And A Two Time 2016 Quill Award Recipient!
HORROR, Inc. Presents:
A HUGE THANK YOU TO Cinn FOR THAT AWESOME RIBBON
(UNDERNEATH THE QUILL AWARD)
THAT ADORNS THIS CONTEST!
This is a Daily contest sponsored by Horror, Inc. We're looking to get those dark thoughts churning in the recesses of your mind, out. We would like to invite you to tell us a tale of terror in only 1,500 words or less. Daily Winners will receive 5,000 Gift Points and the Weekly Winner will receive a 10K Awardicon. These prizes might increase if there's sufficient entries to keep this contest running!
The inspiration for this contest comes from "The Writer's Cramp" . If you're looking for a daily prompt based contest that isn't horror related, that's where you need to go. We want you here, but we understand if you don't think you can scare us. It may seem like a daunting task, scaring us in only 1,500 words, but we'd love for you to try.
Besides, don't expect us to let you leave here until you do...
NEW RULES (effective noon, November 13th, 2017):
WEDNESDAYS WILL BE 2 DAY, 2,000 WORD CONTESTS, GIVING YOU 48 HOURS INSTEAD OF 24 TO WRITE YOUR STORIES!
SATURDAYS WILL BE 500 WORD FLASH FICTION CONTESTS!
1. All entries must be posted by link only. It is MANDATORY to use the "b-item" or "entry" link. However, if there is an emergency, direct entries WILL be accepted UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES! Book items are allowed if they've been written for that day's prompt.. For more help on bitem format, please see: "Linking Help And Practice"
2. All entries must be posted no later than 11:59am WDC time to qualify for that Day's judging.
3. All entries must not exceed 1,500 words (unless it's 2 DAY/2,000 WORD WEDNESDAY). You MUST include a final word count in your entry post or in your story.
4. HORROR STORIES ONLY! (No poetry, please!). All types of styles and all portfolio colors are welcome. All ratings are welcome also, including Horrotica (XGC). However, in your judges' experience, it takes exceptional skill to write Horrotica well, and attempts that fall short tend to elicit a reaction opposite to what the writer intended. The same is true with respect to BG&G (blood, guts, and gore). Psychological horror can be just as frightening, if not more so, than simply splashing blood and guts all over the walls, and gratuitous BG&G, executed without the requisite thought and care, could have a negative influence on your judges, who have seen it all.
5. You may post only one story per day. NO EXCEPTIONS. Multiple submissions will be deleted without warning!
6. PLEASE MAKE YOUR ENTRIES ORIGINAL TO THAT DAY'S PROMPT - previously created entries WILL NOT be considered.
7. This is a competition, so there must be at least 2 qualifying entries before a prize is awarded. What's the fun in winning by default? Exactly. That's what we think, too!
This contest changes Daily. Therefore, we recommend that you add this forum to your favorites!
Each day one of our judges will post a writing prompt. The contest for that prompt ends before NOON (WDC time) the following day. All entries that follow the prompt will be judged primarily according to the writing prompt. This means that A FEW MINOR spelling and/or grammatical errors will not be a determining factor in deciding the winner! Remember though, you'll have a whole 24 hours to write and proofread your stories, and if your story is so unreadable, then it could lessen your chances of winning.
The judging will be based on how well you followed the prompt and how creative you were with it, not just on how well you write.
Your SCREAMS!!! Judges:
Jim Hall - 7/22
And a very dear friend who helped me create this contest and has been here since day 1, the most venerable sugarglider58 !
amy-Very Very Busy
and our 'ghost' judge
(who will hopefully return to WdC someday)
You can find the winner and new prompt listed in the forum every day.
If you have any dark thoughts, twisted imaginations, suggestions, questions or any form of discussion related to horror or SCREAMS!!! feel free to slither in here:
Anyone who donates 30,000 GP’s or more will receive a Merit Badge of your choice. Alternatively, you can include the GP’s in your forum post below. Thank you
And please keep in mind some other fantastic contests that you might be interested in: