*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3277972
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 24, 2019 at 3:34pm
Re: Re: Re: Short story formatting
by Tobber
As KenF said, Standard Manuscript Format is probably the way to go. Though, it also depends on the site where you upload the story. Basically, it just needs to be reader friendly. SMF is simply the standard used for submissions to magazines and book publishers.

Regarding identification as you as the author and a confidentiality notice, I really don't think you need to bother though. That is, if either of the two following assumptions are true.

1) The story is a piece of fan-fic (since you're publishing it at fanfiction.com). Then you won't be able to sell it, so why would there be any dispute over who wrote it?
2) I have never used fanfiction.com, but I would assume it has a somewhat similar setup as WdC regarding users. So it would be easy to see who uploaded the story and, in all likelyhood, was the author.

And even if some crazy legal dispute should arise and the beta reader stole the story for some unfathomable reason, the fact that you have an older version than the published one on your harddrive would be enough evidence to assert you as the legal author and owner of the story. (I'm not a lawyer, but plagiarism of this kind should be easy to counter)
MESSAGE THREAD
Short story formatting · 06-24-19 9:54am
by Whiskerfacebythefireplace
Re: Short story formatting · 06-24-19 11:37am
by KenF
Re: Re: Short story formatting · 06-24-19 11:39am
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Short story formatting · 06-24-19 3:34pm
by Tobber
Re: Re: Re: Re: Short story formatting · 06-25-19 8:34am
Re: Short story formatting · 07-22-19 4:22am
by Silver Wolf

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3277972