*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3293597
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 10, 2019 at 11:12am
Re: Concerning Writer's Block
by Vagus
I think there's a spectrum of writer's block phenomena, feel free to disagree. Some is that classic mid-paragraph (sentence?) pause where you have no idea what to write next. The plug got pulled and you need to get your head straight. Other times, it may be a matter of focus. You stare at that blank screen and the ideas refuse to coalesce. Occasionally, it's motivation. Beautiful day outside and you're chained to your laptop and possibly a corpse (I don't know where you folks work or what constitutes break time). You're just not gonna get your head in the game before your 25.6 minutes is up.

It's psychological first, physiological second. Being sick, injured, giving birth all free up time to write, but the ailment itself becomes a distraction. The rest is situational and contextual. Normally you don't write at night so it's weird to sit down and try to replicate that morning surge. Best thing i can suggest is to have a pre-game. Something to put you in the same place every time (minus the birthing process) no matter where you are. Like drinking a 30 pack or something before attending a family dinner.

My process involves reading something related to what i'm writing, posting nonsensical stuff to uhh internet sites, and then editing some stuff i've already written. If i don't get past editing, that's fine. But the amygdala usually spools up and i'll feel like filling some white space. Or dark space depending on your screen settings.
MESSAGE THREAD
Concerning Writer's Block · 09-08-19 6:23pm
by R. Engels
Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-08-19 11:41pm
by edgework
Re: Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-09-19 6:42am
by Zen
Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-09-19 8:34pm
by Dawn Embers
Re: Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-10-19 12:16am
by R. Engels
*Star* Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-10-19 11:12am
by Vagus
Re: Concerning Writer's Block · 09-10-19 10:04pm
by s

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3293597