*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3496610
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 30, 2022 at 4:31pm
Re: Question about first rights protection…
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Carterpete --

Questions about how to use the site belong in "Technical Support Forum, which is linked as Need Help? at the upper right, and also as Writing.Com Tools/Help: Technical in the left nav menu.

That said --

I have a question about how this place protects your first publishing rights against the internet trawl. I assume the standard logon and password stops a lion’s share.

The only guaranteed way to prevent plagiarism is to never allow anyone else to see your work.

If you set up your portfolio items when you create them, so that they are not available to the whole internet, then only people who log into their account and who meet any other access restrictions you set, will be able to view it. That's it. This is a family-run business, a Mom-and-Pop shop. There is no million-employee legal department scouring the internet for plagiarism of what you post here. If a dishonest person creates a membership and steals your work, the site is not responsible for preventing it. So basically the same as any other internet site where you can post your work.

For those who plan to publish their work, the access restriction options available in an Upgraded paid membership will work to keep the potential exposure to your work equivalent to having a RL critique group that has seen it.

I assume that if I post something, that I have control over my work (some places don’t) and can remove it anytime I want.

On Writing.Com, all members can edit and delete their own portfolio content at will, including changing its access restrictions. Those options are not always available when you post something in someone else's portfolio/item.

Writing.Com and its affiliates reserve the right to edit, copy, publish, retransmit and distribute any information and/or material that you post or transmit to this site.

That's the legal terminology for the processes the site uses to store your work and show it to you and others. So is this sentence:

Members who upload content to Writing.Com grant Writing.Com an unrestricted and non-exclusive right to display and utilize the uploaded content.

did try the search engine with horrible results.

For future reference, the site handbook "Writing.Com 101 has a search utility inside it near the top.

Hope that helps.

*Snow2* *Snow2* *Snow2* Northernwrites___*Pencil*

~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~ ~~Image #603504 Sharing Restricted~~
MESSAGE THREAD
Question about first rights protection… · 04-30-22 10:45am
by Carterpete
*Star* Re: Question about first rights protection… · 04-30-22 4:31pm
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: Question about first rights protection… · 04-30-22 7:22pm
by Carterpete

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3496610