*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1562917-The-Prisoner/cid/723244-Just-an-Infant
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1562917
A young slave encounters another prisoner in the castle that isn't human!
This choice: curled up in the back of the cage whimpering.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

Just an Infant!

    by: Bruce Lee Gifford Jr.
Felix stared at the large cage that resembled a large wooden crate with a large door at on end and a barred window on that door. The door was only meant to open by unlatching it and it would fall to the ground. The cage was still in the hallway close to the cell the amarok was supposed to go into. The cell had two doors leading into it, a human sized door made of iron bars to look through them, and a large door like the gates of the outside wall that could be opened and easily fit the amarok through them.

The amarok had apparently been asleep during the trip to the cell, but now Felix could hear movement in the cage. The amarok was awake which made Felix nervous. "If this creature is an infant like Lord William said it is, maybe it can't break out of the cage," Felix tried to assure himself. However, when Lord William had told Felix of the creature's abilities, Felix couldn't forget the image of a giant wolf bursting through a stone wall with ease and devouring the village outside the castle hungrily.

Felix wanted to get out of there badly, yet the cage was near the stairs and exit of the dungeons. Felix was frightened to go that way. He was also frightened of what Lord William might do to him if he should leave.

Suddenly, Felix heard whimpering from within the cage. Felix was surprised by this and stood very still at first. The whimpering was very sad like an injured puppy, a big injured puppy, because the whimpering might have been high pitched to an amarok, but the size difference between a human and an amarok made the whimpering sound a little deeper than it should have. Felix stood up on his feet slowly. The whimpering made him very curious. It almost sounded familiar to him for some reason. However, he didn't know why it would be familiar when he had never seen a monster before, let alone even hear of an amarok.

Felix found himself walking towards the door of the cage to look through the barred opening that was slightly past eye level with him. The amarok must have heard Felix's approach, because Felix heard it move around in the cage and the cage even rocked a bit as it moved around. Felix approached the opening and brought himself on top of the tips of his toes and looked in. It was true! the armarok was just an infant!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------

"So, how did you capture the monster again and where did you find it?" Lord William questioned General Ethan.

General Ethan replied, "We were in the vicinity of the small village called Littown. A villager found our campsite and explained that an amarok was attacking the village. We followed him to the village, but the monster had already destroyed most of the village and eaten many terrified people. We were going to kill it, but Alex noticed this creature was an infant. I remembered you, my Lord and thought that if we captured it, you would be able to control the infant easily and it would be very useful to you."

"Something that could already use such aggression would be a useful weapon once I could wield it. Very good. Get your men and get the creature in the cell by any means necessary, without killing it, of course," Lord William ordered General Ethan and Alex. Lord William turned to a servant and said, "Get the meat and water and bring it to the boy. The amarok is probably very hungry."

The servant hurried away and Lord William walked away as well. General Ethan turned to Alex and saw a bit of anger in Alex's eyes. "You're still not mad about the amarok, are you?" General Ethan questioned.

"You know as well as I that the amarok was not attacking the village. We found traces of dead amaroks in the forest near the village. The creatures parents must have died by hunters and it wandered around not knowing what had happened," Alex informed General Ethan, "It must have accidentally came upon the village. You know how it acted when it arrived. It wasn't harming anyone. It had accidentally crushed a few huts, but it wasn't harming the villagers. It looked like it was looking for help."

"Yet, the story of it attacking would please Lord William much more, which is why we told him this," General Ethan explained.

"If only you didn't have to make that order to make the story believable," Alex commented.

"You will speak nothing of that event. No one needs to know how the villagers truly died," General Ethan whispered while grabbing Alex and pinning him to the wall, "If you or anyone else gets the idea of telling..."

"I won't tell," Alex interrupted General Ethan. Alex hated having to keep such a terrible secret. He never even taken part of the mass killing. He tried to convince the others to stop, but he promised not to tell so that he could live. Something Alex still dreaded.

"Now, let's think of a way to get that creature in the cell and in its chains," General Ethan replied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Felix was still astounded by what he saw. The amarok was the size of an elephant, yet it look exactly like a puppy, with the large head, short legs (relative to its body), little ears, the short muzzle, and little tail. The amarok had to have been born a few days ago!

It also surprised Felix that the amarok was whimpering and cowering in the corner of the cage, afraid of Felix. "This is the monster Lord William was talking about? How could this be a monster? It looks scared and defenseless, despite being the size of an elephant." Felix thought to himself.

Felix remembered that he could be able to tell the gender of a wolf by the color of its fur, if it was like the gray wolves. Gray wolf females had gray fur and males had black fur. What fur did the amarok have?
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Bruce Lee Gifford Jr. (UN: bruce607 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bruce Lee Gifford Jr. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1562917-The-Prisoner/cid/723244-Just-an-Infant