Easy, basic geography facts even non-Tar Heels can have success with
1. The state of North Carolina is home to the highest mountain east of the Rockies. What is the name of this mountain which also shares its name with a state park?|
2. North Carolina is home to three of the tallest lighthouses in America. What is the name of its tallest lighthouse, located on the coast of N.C.?
3. North Carolina has many rivers within its boundaries. A river basin includes all the land that a river gets its water from. Which river basin is the largest in the state?
A. Tar River Basin B. Yadkin River Basin C. Catawba River Basin D. Cape Fear River Basin
4. There are three distinct landforms in the Southeast U.S. and in North Carolina. Which one of the following is NOT one of those geographical landforms?
A. Coastal Plain B. Peninsula C. Piedmont D. Mountains
5. The first English colony in America was located on which North Carolina island?
A. James B. Hatteras C. Roanoke D. Croatoan
6. Which river in North Carolina is only one of two rivers that flows north in the United States?
A. French Broad B. Catawba D. Neuse E. Watauga
7. Which one of the following pairs of cities and landforms are INCORRECT pairings of cities located in North Carolina's three landforms?
A. Asheville-Mountains B. Wilmington-Coastal C. Greensboro-Piedmont D. Charlotte-Mountains
8. The Appalachian Mountains extend from Canadian provinces in the north through North Carolina, Georgia, and northern Alabama. Which of the following are the two sub-chains of the Appalachians in the state of N.C.?
A. Blue Ridge and Great Smoky Mountains B. Adirondack and Great Smokies
C. Blue Ridge and Ozarks D. Cumberland and Black Mountains
9. In geography, a sound is a sea or ocean inlet that is larger than a bay (or a narrow sea or ocean channel), which is found between two bodies of land. Here the water is usually much more shallow than a lake or ocean. Which of the following is NOT a sound located in North Carolina?
A. Core B. Bogue C. Puget D. Pamlico
10. North Carolina's Piedmont contains most of the state's largest cities. One of the reasons for this is the fact that rivers in this region begin their drop in elevation, which allowed them to be used for water-powered mills and later for hydroelectric power. This led to many towns being founded along these rivers. What is the geographic term for this sudden decrease in elevation of waterways?
A. River Crest B. Tributary Confluence C. Transition Zone D. The Fall Line