*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1155406-I-Was-So-Embarrassed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(101)
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1155406
Contest Entry
I Was So Embarrassed





         The greenhouse at the grocery store, where I had worked since August, had been open for a week or so, drawing larger than usual crowds of shoppers eager to purchase flowers to decorate their yards.

         Having to remember all of the new scan codes to ring through the plants was a daunting task. Each week more and more plants were added to the list.

          After a long weekend, I was feeling rejuvenated as my first customers approached my register with a heaping basket of groceries. I pride myself on providing fast and efficient service and got right to the task of scanning and bagging their items as they continued their conversation. As I gave them their total, the younger lady turned to me and in a nonchalant manner, stated, “And I have a Bleeding Heart.”

          I was stunned and didn’t quite know what to say. My face must have shown my confusion as both ladies were staring at me quizzically. I looked her in the eyes and as sincerely as possible said, “I am so sorry.” There was a moment of silence as both ladies looked at each other and then back at me as they burst out laughing. The lady held up a plant she wished to purchase: A Bleeding Heart.










© Copyright 2006 ~WhoMe???~ (whome at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1155406-I-Was-So-Embarrassed