*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202743-Whzzzzz-click
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #1202743
It's a short story about how a kid deals with his dad leaving his mother and him.
Whzzzzz-click.

That was the only sound Jake could hear.  Spin the chamber, close it.

Whzzzzz-click.

Why did it all happen?  He knew things weren't perfect, but why this?  And why wasn't there any music playing, there should be music!  He wanted to turn some on, but sitting against his door seemed so much more logical.  He was determined, and there was no reason to back down now.  He was going to do it, and the lack of music wasn't going to stop him.

Whzzzzz-click.

Determined, yes.  Confused, even more so.  But that wouldn't stop him.  When his dad was determined, he did things.  He wasn't with them anymore, but when he was, he did things.  Right.

Whzzzzz-click.

When you have an all hardwood apartment, it's easy to hear someone clomping around.  Sounded like mummy was going out for the night.  Great, there goes the rent again this month.  When would the landlord finally boot them out?  Eh, doesn't really matter, does it?

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Jake?" his mum called, clomping around the hallway.
    "In here, mum." he answered.  Mum clomped over to the door and knocked.
    "Mummy is going out tonight!  And turn down your music!" she yelled from the other side.  Oh, there was music playing.  Go figure.

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Okay mum.  Just don't forget everything tonight."  At least remember me...
    "Just that no good father of yours!" she squawked.

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Don't say that about him!" Jake yelled back.

Whzzzzz-click.

    "He left you Jake.  He left us.  And please, turn down that music!"

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Jake, what's that sound?"
    "Just an old toy I found."
    "Jake?"

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Jacob!  Jake, unlock the door!"  Jake knew his father was a liar.  He knew because that's what mummy said all those nights screaming into the phone.  Who she was screaming and crying at, he didn't know.  All he knew was that he was a liar, and now Jake found himself lying too.

Whzzzzz-click.

    "Jacob, please!"

Whzzzzz-click.

He didn't want to be a liar.  Jake just wanted it all to stop.  No more crying, no more pain, no more anything.
      "Jacob!"

Whzzzzz-click.

Jacob put the old toy to his head and pulled the trigger.
© Copyright 2007 James Wyatt (kselke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1202743-Whzzzzz-click