*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436367-Walking-the-Dog
Rated: E · Article · Animal · #1436367
I wrote this for my school newspaper. It is about a fundraising dog walk.
Walking the Dog
By Monika L. Brown

    October of 2007 was an enjoyable month for many that seemed to go by all too quickly. There were many fun days throughout the month, including homecoming night and weekend, Halloween parties, and, of course, Halloween itself. For one animal welfare organization, the Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RISPCA), this month was the perfect time to schedule a fundraiser. It was an opportunity to raise money for homeless, neglected, abused, and injured animals.
    On October 28, 2007 the RISPCA hosted its fifth annual Howling Hounds Dog Walk took place in the carousel area of Goddard Memorial State Park. Volunteers and staff members helped to schedule, organize, and set up the walk, which had been a success for each of the previous four years. Walkers collected money from sponsors, in order to support them as they walked with their dog. That Sunday, sign in began at ten o’ clock in the morning. To participate, a walker had to pay a twenty-dollar entrance fee, which covered the cost of refreshments, a door prize entry, and a t-shirt for that particular walker. Dogs that had once been adopted from the RISPCA received a special treat. Adults, children, and dogs of various breeds and mixes participated. The walk began at eleven o’ clock.
    It seemed as if the walk was over too soon to bring about any happiness, but the day was not yet done. At that point, participants entered the building to begin one of three contests. To start, the junior participants, who were any walkers that were seventeen years of age or younger, brought their dogs to the stage for the Junior Costume Contest. The following contests were the Dog-Owner Look Alike Contest and the Adult Costume Contest. Winners of each contest received a pet-associated gift basket. Throughout the day, a silent auction and raffle were also conducted.
    This event did not only benefit the RISPCA. Animal-related tables, such as pet boutiques, pet supply companies, and other rescues, including the Providence Animal Rescue League and Sweet Binks Rabbit Rescue, were set up around and inside the building. Therefore, by selling pet supplies and items, money was raised even for animals that were not in the care of the RISPCA. In the end, this day of family and pet fun proved very advantageous for the organization. Approximately eleven thousand dollars was raised to assist in “speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves,” (the RISPCA’s saying). It’s amazing how much good can be done just by taking your dog for a walk.


© Copyright 2008 Monika L. Brown (deathnoteluv93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1436367-Walking-the-Dog