*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451354-Medical-Limitations
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1451354
How far can medicine progress? For Daily Flash Fiction
“And if you look through the window on your right, you will see our surgeons working their morning shift,” said the tour guide to the group of foreign investors.

“Where are the patients? All I see are a bunch of men and women working at computer screens,” one of the deep pockets commented.

“Nearly all of our surgeries are performed remotely. Each one of these surgeons is working on someone, somewhere in the world. For example, at console three, I can see that Doctor Mambly is performing open heart surgery on a patient at one of our hospitals on the other side of the world in Sydney, Australia.”

The guide took some satisfaction in the excited murmur that statement caused. As impressive as technology was, it still cost money. It was her full time job to help convince investors to contribute.

“Up ahead, you can see our viral and internal medicine clinic.”

The group approached a long stretch of windows through which they could see patients laying down on a conveyor belt as they passed under a number of busy robotic arms.

“They start at one end of the room and end at the other end. During the five minute trip, they are sampled, diagnosed and treated. The only human intervention is maintenance.”

The investors whispered excitedly amongst themselves as they moved on. Next, they came to a bank of windows showing a group of people arguing and working on a white board.

“What is going on in here?”

“These people are all psychologists and clergy. This is one of our many R&D departments.”

“What is it that they are working on?”

“This is one of the most challenging medical issues we have ever taken on. They are trying to find a cure for the sick soul.”

Word count 297


http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1451354-Medical-Limitations