*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570698-The-Day-I-Called-Jesus
by ruwth
Rated: 13+ · Other · Personal · #1570698
This is a true story. Short but true.
The Day I Called JESUS

One day in 1978, I was a bit forlorn. I wished I could just pick up the phone and call God -- I wanted a clear back and forth interaction with Him that would be possible with a phone call.

I wished we could dial something like 1-800-JESUS. As I mulled the idea over in my mind, I got to wondering what would happen if someone did try to place a phone call to Jesus.

In my imagination, I saw some heartbroken, desperate person -- maybe under the influence of alcohol or drugs -- but definitely very sad. I imagined them in desperation on the verge of giving up, picking up the phone and dialing JESUS.

How heart-breaking to get the recording, "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again."

On impulse, I picked up the phone and dialed the five numbers: J-E-S-U-S. To my surprise, it started ringing.

I almost fainted when a deep strong male voice said, "Hello." In a shaky stunned quiet whisper I asked, "Who's this?"

"Who's asking?" Then I realized it was not God or Jesus or even St. Peter. It was a person whose phone number was 74J-ESUS. In that area at that time dialing the last 5 numbers would put the call through.

The gentleman kindly explained this to me after I told him my story. Years later, I wrote him and included a Tract -- just in case there was a reason for our paths crossing.

I do not have words to describe what I felt when he said, "Hello." I clearly remember time standing still when I heard his deep voice. I may not be able to describe what I felt but the moment is etched in my memory forever.

I wonder if he remembers the day I called JESUS.


© Copyright 2009 ruwth (ruwth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570698-The-Day-I-Called-Jesus