*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776972-Emma-the-Emo-Emu
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1776972
Emma learns the uniquness of her differences.
Emma the Emo Emu.







‘One, two, three, look at me, I can fly!’ cried Emma the Emu. She jumped from the rocks and flapped her wings.

But Emma didn’t fly. No matter how hard she tried, Emma the Emu couldn’t fly.



Kookaburra laughed. Rosella screeched. Yellow crested Cockatoo squawked and Pink Galah squealed as they circled overhead.

‘I must be doing something wrong,’ Emma sobbed. ‘All the other birds at flying school can do it!’



Rosie the Rosella landed on a nearby Gum tree.

‘I know,’ she said. ‘Don’t be so emotional Emma. You just need to take off from something higher.’



All the birds looked around. Patsy the Pink Galah had an idea.

‘What about that rusty old car dumped near the side of the road? I bet if you jump from it’s roof you’ll be high enough to fly.’

Emma stopped sobbing.



‘Good idea!’ she cried and bounded down to the old car. She clambered onto the roof. Took a deep breath. Spread her wings and shouted.

‘One, two, three, look at me. I can fly!’



But Emma didn’t fly. No matter how hard she tried, Emma the Emu couldn’t fly.

Tears filled her eyes. Emma sat where she fell and sobbed. Kookaburra laughed. Rosella screeched. Yellow Crested Cockatoo squawked and Pink Galah squealed.

The four birds perched high in the Gum tree.



‘Emma don’t be so emotional,’ Rosie encouraged. ‘Maybe you just need to jump from something higher!’

‘Yes,’ Patsy flapped. ‘Climb up this tree and take off from here.’



Emma the emo Emu stopped sobbing. She looked up at her friends sitting high in the Gum tree.

‘It’s worth a try,’ Emma sniffed. She jumped, but the first branch was too high. ‘I can’t reach!’ she cried.



The other birds flew down to help. Rosie the Rosella and Patsy the Pink Galah pulled from above, Kookaburra and Yellow Crested Cockatoo pushed from below. With a bit of a struggle Emma the Emu was up the Gum tree.

‘Are you ready Emma?’ Rosie asked. Emma nodded, took a deep breath, spread her wings and shouted.

‘One, two, three, look at me. I can fly!’



But Emma didn’t fly. No matter how hard she tried, Emma the Emu couldn’t fly.

Emma fell to the ground and sobbed. Kookaburra laughed. Rosella screeched. Yellow Crested Cockatoo squawked and Pink Galah squealed.



‘Emma stop being so emotional,’ laughed Kelly the Kookaburra. ‘Maybe you just need to jump from something even higher!’

‘I don’t think so,’ Emma sobbed some more. ‘It’s no use, I’ll never fly.’



‘I’ve been thinking,’ squawked Cathy the Yellow Crested Cockatoo. ‘You’re going about this all wrong.’ Cathy flew down from the Gum tree and landed beside Emma’s sprawled feet. ‘Instead of jumping from something high, maybe you should try running!’



Emma stopped sobbing. She looked at Cathy the Yellow Crested Cockatoo puzzled.

‘But all the birds at flying school take off from somewhere high,’ Emma said.



‘I know,’ agreed Cathy. ‘But we are all different. Kookaburra has a great big loud laugh. Galah looks a gorgeous pink like the sunset, Rosella is all the beautiful colours of the rainbow, I have my magnificent yellow crest and you have lovely long legs.’

Emma gazed at her long legs.



‘But they are such a nuisance, they’re awkward and get in my way,’ she continued to sob.

‘It’s worth a try,’ encouraged Rosie the Rosella. ‘You can sit there feeling sorry for yourself, or you can get up and give it a go.’

Emma slowly stood. She took a deep breath, spread her wings and shouted.

‘One, two, three, look at me. I can fly!’



Emma ran as hard and as fast as she could, faster than she had ever run before. She felt the wind brush against her face. Her feathers tingled.

Emma the Emotional Emus feet barely touched the sand as she raced across the desert. It felt fantastic! Emma was finally flying!



655 words

About to be published into a beautifully illustrated picture book. Out soon!

http://sandrabennettauthor.com/emma-emu/
© Copyright 2011 Sandy B. (rosellaridge at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776972-Emma-the-Emo-Emu