*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1800411-Lesson-Never-Learned
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Death · #1800411
A letter of regret from Dad.
To my Wonderful Family;
You may never know how very saddened I was when I left you struggling. It broke my heart to see that I had caused so much pain. I tried to comfort you in your time of need. You probably did not realize I was there. I stood between two of my boys with a hand on each of their shoulders. They talked about how much they have learned from me and how much they still needed to learn.
I looked over to my grandchildren as they each grieved in different ways. Throughout the last seven years, you have all faced challenges. I could not help but I have stood with you through each one. I was there for the birth of my two youngest grandchildren. They will never know the joy they bring to me each day. I traveled with my oldest as he adopted all four of my lovely granddaughters. I am very proud that they have joined my family.
My beautiful wife and oldest son do all they can do to hold our family together.  I feel the pain that my poor choices have caused to each one of you.  As each of you dealt with the sudden loss in your own tragic ways one thing was clear to each of you, “if we all stop smoking maybe we can avoid the same fate.”

You've all seen the commercials of what your lungs look like because of smoking you still do it, "Maybe next month?" you say!

You've all been grossed out by the recent billboard images of the effects smoking can have on your eyesight, "maybe when winter starts?" you promise each other and your families!

You all hear your children plead, "Daddy we don't want you to smoke we learned in school that it can kill you!"

"Maybe I'll quit for New Years?" You say.

I have stood by and watched you all for the past six New Year’s. Watched silently over you as you travel down the same path I have traveled.

Yes, tomorrow is a new day and you can make the healthy changes needed to allow you more time with your families.

Do you know how many tomorrows you have left? I thought I had plenty of tomorrow’s left to make the healthy changes I needed. I never felt the warning heart attacks I had before the massive one killed me.

What will happen to your family if you leave them unexpectedly today?

How will they feel? I know not one of you blames me for my premature death. Had I noticed the warning signals, I might still be here with you today. I might be able to help you all through todays challenge. Please make today the last day you put off until tomorrow. Healthy habits need to start somewhere. Look to each other for support; know that I am with you each day. Please do not let my mistakes be a lesson never learned.

With Love and Support always,
Your Husband, Father and Grandfather

© Copyright 2011 Zoe Grace (mesiegweeks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1800411-Lesson-Never-Learned