*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829045-Weekend-In-Vermont
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1829045
Remember those Vermont weekends? Here's another.

The ad showed a classic Vermont inn.  I booked a room for the Columbus Day Weekend using the web site.

"It's a busy weekend, with the 'leaf peepers' and all," I was warned.  Having a room reserved, I wasn't worried.

Traffic was heavy, moving slow, making it easier to enjoy the foliage.  The colors were wild.  Found the inn at the end of a rock lined dirt road.

Darkness had settled into the valley, while the mountain tops were outlined in a glow from the setting sun.  The inn was inviting, as smoke rising from it's chimney promised warmth against the dropping temperature.

Sounds perfect, right.  Well, guess again.

Their new web reservation system had overbooked.

"Only by one room," the innkeeper explained.  Like that made it better.  Being the last to arrive, I was the one without a room.

"Who are the geniuses behind the reservation system?" I asked.

"That would be us, miss.  I'm Larry; these are my brothers Daryl and Daryl," a kind of loopy looking guy said as they came through the front door.  No wonder my reservation was a mess.

"George, George, get in here," the innkeeper hollered.

"Yes Dick," said a tall galoot coming in from a side door.

"Can you fix up a room for this young lady in the barn?"

"Ah, Dick, if I do that, what do I do with the animals?"

"Oh never mind," I said.  "Can't you get me another room somewhere around here?"

"Please, on Columbus day weekend!" said a blond bimbo coming from the back.

This was getting crowded, and all too familiar.

I looked around carefully.  Sure enough, a camera behind some curtains.

"Is this a remake?" I asked.

"Not at all.  A new reality TV show.  Welcome back to your favorite series."

© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829045-Weekend-In-Vermont