*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872130-Music-Makes-The-World-Go-Round
Rated: E · Essay · Music · #1872130
This is a bit of an ode, if you will to one of my favorite loves: music.
Since I was a young child, there has been one thing that has always been in my life: and that's music.

Whether it comes out of a CD or my Ipod Touch or my laptop computer, or even when it's being performed at a concert, music has always been something I have interested in.

I don't know when I first got interested in music; it might have been when I was in elementary school and had to sing songs as part of a school assembly(or something like that, I forget what it specifically was actually).

Back then the Top 40 music of the day consisted of Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Elton John, or Kiss From A Rose by Seal, or many of Hootie and the Blowfish's hit songs.

While the music may have changed from that to Rhianna, and Lady Gaga and others, one thing has remained: my love for music of all kinds. Well, almost all kinds....

I've never been that big a fan of spanish or classical music, but those are really the only kinds of music that I don't listen to much. One of my favorite kinds of music though is and has always been the music of the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

My age may be in the late twenties, and maybe I should be listening to rap, or alternative rock, but I cannot listen to that kind of music at all. Whenever you see me or whenever you come in contact with me, I usually will be listening to classic hits, or oldies, or classic rock music.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Monkees, Stevie Wonder, Credence Clearwater Revival, and some of the better known acts of the 70s and 80s such as The Eagles, The Cars, Journey, Jefferson Starship and many, many others are undoubtedly my favorites.

The acts i've mentioned above are people whose music who despite being released 30, 40 or even 50 years ago is timeless, and will continue to be heard even after my generation is all gone.

As to when I started listening to this type of music, I first got interested when I started watching Scooby Doo(which is another story altogether). Soon after that, I sought out both of our local oldies stations(KJR FM 95.7 and KBSG FM 97.3); when I started listening to KBSG in particular I was hooked.

The Beach Boys, Chicago, The Temptations, Diana Ross and the Supremes, and many others became what I heard on a regular basis. It was timeless music that while it was 30-40 years old, felt to me like it was new, because it felt great to listen to it.

Unfortuntely all goods things come to an end, and in 2007 KBSG FM flipped formats to a News/Talk format(originally a simulcast of KIRO 710 AM, but eventually they would break the simuclast and KIRO would be on FM for News/Talk permenately).

However, the absence of KBSG wasn't a total loss, because in 2006 I discovered XM satellite radio. Their decade channels with thousands of songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s, plus classic radio station salutes and vintage Casey Kasem American Top 40 shows were weekly appointments for me.

While XM and rival Sirius Satellite Radio have since merged, and the playlists have shrunk, I have discovered other places to get my fix of classic songs from the past, such as internet streaming.

So now I have several ways to listen to songs that people of my age listened to in the 1980s, 1970s, 1960s and 1950s.

The big question though that i've been asked is why? Why do you like music so much?

When I was in college I was asked this question, but didn't really come up with that great an answer back then. Now though, I can truly give an honest answer, and I can truly say why I like music as much as I do.

It mainly has to do with the title of this piece. When I say music makes the world go round, it does make the world go round.

Music makes people go through all kinds of different emotions, feelings and points of view. For example: when you listen to a sad song, you tear up and start to cry, when you listen to a love song you think of a special someone, or think of a past love or relationship or perhaps, maybe of a future love in your life.

Upbeat songs or party type songs can make you sing out loud, and feel fantastic.

Some songs can even make you cheer for your favorite sports team and can work a crowd at a stadium or arena into a frenzy in nothing flat.

There are songs that can make you glad, sad, dissapointed or happy. There are songs that can make you feel romantic, there are songs that can take you away to a tropical paradise, even in the middle of winter.

The list goes on and on, but the main gist is this: music is really the language of the world. It is one of the only things, if not the only thing that whether you live in Seattle, Washington, Moscow, Russia or Tahiti you can agree with.

There are numerous different types of music around the world, and many different ways people can enjoy music, but to sum it all up: the saying really is true, Music does make the world go round, and it makes it more fun as well.
© Copyright 2012 Scoobyfan1984 (scoobyfan1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1872130-Music-Makes-The-World-Go-Round