*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877467-A-Special-Game
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Sports · #1877467
A Short Article about the Wounded Warriors.
Word count 358

This was going to be a special day at the NYSEG Stadium.  While they always have a fireworks display after the Binghamton Mets played their game and we would have our stomachs full of hot dogs and apple pie, this was not why this was a special game.

Before the Mets played their game, there was going to be a special softball game between the Wounded Warriors and Broome county Law Enforcement.  What was so special about this game?  The Wounded Warriors are a team of disabled military veterans (mostly from Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom and one was from Operation Desert Storm) who lost one or more limbs during the line of duty. 

Here are men who had to go through painful rehabilitation and endured.  They did not care about a lack of a arm or leg or two.  While they are considered to be brave men when they fought for our country, they are even stronger when they don't let a disability hinder them.

Let's just say the game was exciting.  There was one player who was in the outfield with one arm.  The one way he would make a play would be to catch the ball and toss it to another teammate.  But-this is outstanding-other plays he would catch the ball in his glove.  Then he would throw the ball up in the air while at the same time tossing the glove off the hand.  then he would catch the ball in his hand and throw a player out.

That was just one of the many examples.  But they are too many to list.  you just have to see them play to see what I mean.  To make a long story short, they won 24-10.  I am glad they won even though my nephew was playing for the law eforcement team.

Too bad the Binghamton Mets did not play as well.

A few days later the Wounded Warriors were in the Memorial Day Parade and received a standing ovation.  Even though it was hot and I was thinking about a nice cold swimming hole, I was glad when I saw them in their blue convertible.

I made a declaration that I was proud to have served in the military myself.
© Copyright 2012 Life is Too Short (lulu13903 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877467-A-Special-Game