*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898495-most-special-birthday
by shh
Rated: E · Short Story · How-To/Advice · #1898495
what is it that makes something or someone special?
I am shalmali. Sara, my niece's 7th birthday is coming in 3 days. Today I asked her what present she wants for this birthday. She thought for some time and asked me what present I would ask if I want to make this birthday my most special birthday. This was a tough question asked by a little girl in a simple way but it took me to a roller-coaster ride of my previous birthdays as wall as the coming ones. I told her that I will answer her question tonight after dinner, then she left for playing.

I sat with a cup of coffee and thought about my birthdays but could not determine which one of them was my most special birthday. I thought about my birthdays till 15 years on which my Papa took all of our family 30 km from home to an orphanage for celebrating this special day with them. What an immense satisfaction I used to see on my parents' faces when they saw me and my brother laughing and playing with those kids. The time spent there taught me the importance of family in one's life. After passing my high school I went to a big city for higher education and celebrated my next 2 birthdays in my school's hostel with my friends. Though I missed the celebration with those special kids at orphanage but the memories of those whole nights parties in the hostel are still fresh in my memory. My next three birthdays during graduation were celebrated in college with my new gang of friends. Those happy memories are still crystal clear. On my birthdays I use to get 12 cards in every half an hour during the college hours and a huge celebration with my near and dear ones at night. My next birthday was spent in office as I started a job after college. This was my only birthday till now which I did not celebrate. On this birthday I bought gifts from my salary for everyone in my family and my chums. This was a kind of joy which i have never felt before. So, this was a kind of very different birthday for me as I have not received any gift but I have given one to all. I spent my last birthday with my fiance. He had planned a surprise for me, it was very romantic. I also thought about my coming birthdays which will be celebrated with my husband, children and in-laws but I just could not decide which one of these was or will be most special to me. So, I thought what makes a birthday, an occasion or a person special to us. Then suddenly I heard Sara telling her brother that this will be her most special birthday and that very instance I knew what I need to tell her.

After dinner she came to me and asked if I have thought of anything. I told her- " There is no gift that can make your birthday special but you belief. It is your belief that makes any occasion or any person special." She thought for a second, smiled at me and plant a goodnight kiss on my cheeks. And here she is sleeping peacefully beside me.

© Copyright 2012 shh (flame22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1898495-most-special-birthday