*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916409-Flying-High
by OOT™
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1916409
Maria learns to fly.
Photo for a story.


Three-year-old Maria had never taken her first step. She was born with with a condition that her older sister, Sarah, couldn't pronounce, but she understood the prognosis. Maria would never be able to walk. As first, Sarah was disappointed that Maria couldn't run and play like other little sisters. But that no longer mattered when she began to notice how it affected Maria. She would watch longingly as Sarah and her friends ran around the house.

"One of these days, you're going to fly," Sarah often assured her. Maria would always smile back at her, but Sarah could see the cynicism in her young eyes. One day, she had an idea. Her dad would have to help pull it off, but that wouldn't be a problem. He would do anything for his girls. He grabbed a roll of duct tape, and they got to work.

"Are you ready to fly?!" Sarah could hardly contain her excitement.

Her excitement was contagious. "Yes!!" Sarah exclaimed.

"Well, then, let's get started!" Even their father's eyes shone with delight. A few minutes later, they were hard at work.

He held Maria against the wall as Sarah applied the duct tape. After ensuring the tape would hold, he let go.

Maria squealed with glee as she dangled the leg that wasn't taped to the wall. And with that small effort, they made Maria a very happy little girl.
© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1916409-Flying-High