by J. Ryan
A Shepard's Pie Recipe from my English friend
|What You'll Need for Charles' Shepard's Pie
1 lb mince beef (I've subbed with 93% lean ground beef)
1 sm onion
2-3 large carrots
1 sm pkg. frozen peas
1 sm pkg. frozen corn
2 tbsp. flour (I use wheat flour)
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 bunch fresh basil
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 cup beef broth
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt & pepper
1 1/2 lbs. potatoes
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
Grated Cheddar Cheese
1. Heat large sautée pan with 2 tbsp. olive oil.
2. Sautée chopped onion, garlic and carrots in oil for 2-3 minutes, add beef.
3. Once beef is browned, add minced basil & parsley, salt & pepper to taste.
4. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add beef broth and frozen peas/corn.
6. Simmer until sauce turns to a good consistency (on a lower heat should take about 10 minutes)
7. Meanwhile, cook potatoes till soft and drain.
8. Mash potatoes with milk and butter.
9. Place beef mixture in Eartnware casserole dish til almost full.
10. You can spread out mashed potatoes over top of mixture with spoon, or use pastry bag to dot the top of the beef mixture with the potatoes.
11. Sprinkle top of potatoes with cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes at 350°
12. Let stand for about 10 minutes before eating, will be super hot!