*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956158-Dear-Chance
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Personal · #1956158
To my dog who passed away during a tragic and miserable time in my life
Dear Chance,

I never thought I'd see a day without you by my side. I never thought I would see you in so much pain. I never thought I would walk into the house and not see you there waiting for me in the kitchen. I never thought I would have to skip going down the Pets aisle at the store to pick out your favorite treats. I never thought I wouldn't have a companion to go for walks with. I never thought I wouldn't need to use my lint roller in the morning. I never thought that I wouldn't see you rolling around all over the ground after I gave you a bath. I never thought I wouldn't have to scold you for putting your nose in the trash can. I never thought I wouldn't need to use the pooper-scooper anymore. I never thought I wouldn't need all of those squeaky toys in the toy basket. I never thought I wouldn't have a buddy to have snowball fights with. I never thought I wouldn't have a friend who would lay on the floor next to my bed when I'm sick. I never thought I wouldn't have you to give the scraps of food I didn't want while you patiently waited underneath the table by my feet. I never thought that I wouldn't have you to go for car rides with at the beach. I never thought you wouldn't need your pumpkin hat for Halloween. I never thought I'd have no use for your Christmas stocking. I never thought that you wouldn't be there to eat the last hot dog or hamburger from dinner.

I never thought that I would cry every time I look at a picture of you. I never thought you could get sick. I never thought that this would happen while [removed]. I never thought that I would have only ten minutes to say goodbye. I never thought I wouldn't be there when you thought your last thought and took your last breath. I never thought that you would leave me. I never thought that God would take you away from me. I never thought you would be beneath the ground and not up here with me where you belong. The day I see you again gives me something to look forward to. I love you, Chance.

Love, Jessie


October 18th, 2012
© Copyright 2013 J.A. Calkins (jcalkins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1956158-Dear-Chance