*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965375-Three-French-Hens
by OOT™
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Holiday · #1965375
Will the millionaire get what he asked for?
On December 1st, the eccentric millionaire posted an ad in the local newspaper:

"I want something different for Christmas this year. As I have no living relatives, I will make a Will dividing my estate as follows: 1/3 to the person who brings me an animal representing faith, 1/3 to the person who brings me an animal representing hope, and 1/3 to the person who brings me an animal representing love." His address followed.

Weeks went by with no responses. Finally, on Christmas Eve, there was a knock at his door. He opened it to reveal a most bizarre sight: three people, two men and a woman, each holding a french hen! Taken aback, he demanded that they explain themselves. A young man stepped forward first.

"This french hen represents faith," he began. "When I saw the ad in the paper, I had faith that I could find what you were looking for before Christmas. I got up this morning to find this little fellow on my doorstep. He represents the faith I had in myself," he finished.

The millionaire gave him a skeptical look before turning to the woman next to him. "And what about you?"

"Well, I have had this hen for the past year. I've cared for him, and he's just like a member of my family. He represents love. I...I love him," she said, fighting back tears.

Unsure of how to respond, the millionaire turned to the second man. "Let's hear it."

"My hen represents hope," he declared. Everyone waited for him to go on, but he just stood there with a scowl. Finally, the millionaire had to ask, "And how does he represent hope?"

"Like the other guy, I found the hen on my doorstep this morning. I also found the mat outside my door covered in chicken shit. Ever since then, he's been hoping I don't kill him."

The millionaire stood there dumbfounded for a moment. Finally, unable to make a valid argument, he invited the three in so that he could get their names for the Will.

© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1965375-Three-French-Hens