*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969678-Busted
by OOT™
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1969678
I should have known better!
I almost got away with it. I was so close, I could actually smell victory! But everything fell apart at the officer's simple question:

"Is that blood on your coat?"

My freedom flashed before my eyes. There was no escaping; he had 'made' me. Isn't that what they say on those crime shows? I just stared at him like a deer in the headlights. Hell, I felt like a deer in the headlights, or, more fittingly, a criminal in the spotlight.

How had I ended up here? Where did everything start going wrong? I knew that Derek was a loser when I married him, but I hadn't anticipated him quitting his job and leaving me to provide for our two children alone. Nor had I expected him to run into the arms of another woman. Still, would the officer see that what I did was justified? Probably not.

I remained silent - I couldn't force a word out - as the policeman walked toward me. Reflexively, I started to step back.

"Stop, ma'am. I need to see that coat." His tone was firm, and his eyes were steel.

So many thoughts flooded my mind. My precious eight-year-old daughter, waiting patiently for the surprise dinner I promised her. Her sixteen-old-brother, dutifully watching her as I ran my errands. What would happen to them? I couldn't stand the thought of Derek and his mistress keeping them, but it was looking as if I wouldn't have a say in the matter.

Finally, I allowed the officer to search my coat, and I wasn't surprised when I felt the handcuffs close around my wrists. I had brought this all on myself.

On my trip in the squad car, I silently vowed never to steal anything again - especially from a butcher shop with leaky trays!
© Copyright 2014 OOT™ (outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969678-Busted