*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026602-The-Dark-Ages
Rated: E · Essay · Personal · #2026602
The Dark Ages. Not sure what I've wrote. It is a rant but an idea I will use in a story
There is a certain viciousness in the way things can be twisted to suit selfish purposes. The consequences of which, can last decades, lifetimes, or even longer. Leaders have a responsibility to others. They should conduct themselves in accordance with the position that they occupy. All too often, this is not the case.

They say that power corrupts but does it? Is it power that corrupts a person or is it the person who seeks power is already corrupted? What does that tell us about people who wish to be prime ministers, presidents, royalty? Is the desire to be in a position of power a sign that you are corrupt?

I look at the world today and I despise what I see?

I see pain and suffering, murder, executions and for what? So that someone has power?

I see ideas being corrupted. Leaders taking an idea and using it for their own selfish ends, they see themselves as being something special, in some way, their position in the world is elevated above others and for that, others must pay the price.

These leaders see themselves as something special, leaders who demand that others follow them, bow to them in reverence, worship them and in return, accept the worship and extend to the worshippers, their blessings. For others, who do not want to worship……

There are many ways to make a person pay for their lack of respect, their belief that a person is not better than who they are.

If there is one thing that humanity has consistently achieved throughout history is finding new ways to kill. Some of them have even been described as being more civilised than others, such as beheadings over boiling in oil. No one is boiled in oil but beheadings are still a favoured form of execution in many places in the world.

Why?

Why should someone be beheaded, or for that matter, shot, gassed, electrocuted, injected, stoned, or any other way to be executed? Is it for a crime that has been committed? Is it because someone, either alive in the present or in the past has been offended, maybe even a being that has been created to be believed to exist?

Then there is that other activity that has been carried out consistently throughout history, torture!

Why should someone be hurt, violated, humiliated, whipped, have their nails pulled out, be tortured in many different ways. Is it because someone has been offended? Is it for a crime that has been committed? Is it because someone, either alive in the present or in the past has been offended, maybe even a being that has been created to be believed to exist.

I have been thinking about this. Who gives themselves the power to decide that they can condemn others to a live of pain, or death? Is it the person themselves, is it us?

If it is the person themselves, why do we allow them that power?

If it is us, why do we give someone that power?

Why do we not fight back?

Are we scared?

Are we too politically correct?

We say that the past was the dark ages and that we now live in more enlightened times. I ask you this final question:

Are we still living in the dark ages?
© Copyright 2015 billypaul (billy140770 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026602-The-Dark-Ages