*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2043228-THE-WRONG-NUMBER
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #2043228
Noah Benton answers his phone and later wishes he hadn't.
I am running for all I am worth. My chest aches for the breath I can not seem to draw into my lungs, I know not where I am headed, only I must get away.

I stumble as sharp pain explodes in my right shoulder blade. Than I hear the shot and I know I am hit. Damn them!

Suddenly my feet are running through the air. I have run out of ground and I am falling off a cliff. I hear screaming and realize it is coming from me.

Down I continue to fall and now, I see the water rushing upwards to meet my body. I can only imagine in an instant how much this is going to hurt.

I hit the water and knife through the turbulent white foam. Down deep I go until my feet strike the bottom. Than it is a struggle to reach the surface for the precious air I am rapidly running out of.

My head breaks the surface and I gasp in a deep breath and pain explodes through my lungs. I am alive and my name is Noah Benton.

I am pushed downstream by the current and eventually I am washed up on the shore. I climb out and laying there I remember how this day started..........

I answered the phone and immediately knew my number had been crossed again. Someone screamed in my ear, " I want to know why you didn't do it? I promised you what would happen if you did not come up with the cash?"

"Pardon me. I think you have the wrong number. Who were you trying to reach?" I asked curiously.

The voice on the other end asked in a sinister tone ,"This is 555-2354? Is it not?"

"Yes, that is my number. Who are you? This is the Benton residence."

"Be at the dock by four this afternoon. If not, we'll be there at four thirty. And you'll not like our visit." He slammed down the phone.
© Copyright 2015 Bearclaw (buckskinjeff62 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2043228-THE-WRONG-NUMBER