*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053792-The-Audition
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #2053792
Acting auditions are tough.
"You can't come in here" Riley said, his hand posed like Hamlet at the Royal Theater. "You __Can't__ come in here."

The West Side Community Theater casting call was packed. Actors paced the green room enunciating, articulating, and uttering that one phrase over and over: You can't come in here.

Riley paused and nervously glanced around the room, gauging the competition. Nearest him was an obvious native New Yorker, his uptown clothes and perfect hair an odd contrast to the James Cagney delivery he was giving the line,"You..you can't come in here."

Riley had been in the City for over a year now. What started as a dream of stardom was dwindling into a nightmare of desperation. He really needed this part. He was long since out of money and his roommates were threatening eviction. Without this part he didn't even have money to get back to Wisconsin.

James Cagney noticed Riley staring and gave him a quick nod. "Sup. This must your first audition for this group." he said indicating Riley's frazzled tennis shoes and blue jeans. "That won't fly here. The casting director is really old school."

Riley looked around at the other hopefuls. They all looked like professionals, wearing jackets and ties, while he looked like a street punk. His stomach sank.

Riley felt sick. He wanted to vomit. He bolted out of the room looking for the toilets. His nausea rose as he realized his last chance was blown. He burst through a door looking for a place to puke only to find himself directly behind the audition jury. They turned at the intrusion, dressed in smart suits and bow ties, shock registering on their faces.

Finally, the oldest member looked over his glasses and said, "You can't come in here."
© Copyright 2015 ByronWrites (byronwrites at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2053792-The-Audition