*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082604-The-Stepmother-Consideration
by Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2082604
A discussion between two friends about a father's new girlfriend.
Freddo and CK had agreed to meet up at their favourite place, the Water Fountain in the town. Freddo wanted to get some advice from CK but he wasn't sure how to go about it really. His dad had a girlfriend, his mum having left them a few years ago now. This was his dad's first girlfriend since then, well Freddo assumed it was, but she was coming over for dinner that night to meet him. Freddo didn't know how to talk to girls of his own age, let alone girls of his dad's age, how do you talk to a girl who might become your stepmother? Firstly, he thought, you'd start by treating her more of an equal, that would go fine for a while. Then, maybe they decide to get married and she turns out to be the evil stepmother, or she wants to be treated like a Mum, so he'd have to do as she tells him, so no more being equal; he needed some advice from his best friend CK.

When CK arrived, they sat by the fountain with their feet dangling in the water, it was summer and the day was warm; it was a pleasant setting for two friends to while away some time together. Freddo explained his predicament, CK, with his big smile, said, 'Why don't you throw a tantrum, then she'll go away, problem solved'; it's a good job Freddo knew he was joking, and it didn't help. They chatted for quite a while, trying to untangle Freddo's possible future stepmother issue, deciding that it would be a good idea to suss her out first and then make a decision on how to treat her next time. This time, go for respectful distance unless she brings you presents, then all bets are off. They extricated themselves from the fountain, once the serious stuff was out of the way, made their way along the High Street to the comic shop, and picked out a comic each. They paid with their pocket money and both made their way home to their respective houses in plenty of time for dinner.

Freddo, as it happened, rather liked his dad's new girlfriend, it helped of course, that she brought him a present that night. Freddo frequently updates CK on the situation, and CK offers advice, just as best friends should.


© Copyright 2016 Angel (angelglory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082604-The-Stepmother-Consideration