*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098280-ER-episode
Rated: E · Editorial · Medical · #2098280
ER is an American movie series that was aired on various TV stations
         Running          head: ER          EPISODE                                                                                 1



ER episode

ER is an American movie series that was aired on various TV stations between 1994 and 2009. It concentrates on a tool (checklist) that doctors believe can have a huge effect on reducing the number of demises and problems caused by surgical mistakes around the world. Medical practitioners and nurses confront the frequent challenges faced by a busy city hospital including congested waiting rooms, few medical practitioners, and the effect of life-and-death decisions (Zabel, 2012). The movie acts as a reference point for the next generation of doctors. It depicts a cultural advancement in which medical practitioners change from observing themselves as lone managers to effective team members.
In the movie, Dr. Carter is hurriedly taken to the operating room after having kidney complications. His mentor, Peter Benton, requests to be given the chance to observe the procedure. When the medical doctor in control moves for a quick start to the operation proceedings, Benton intervenes, removing a sealed card and requesting to pass it through the safe-surgery checklist. Benton realizes that every individual understands each other, their responsibilities, and the operation to be performed. They are also informed that Dr. Carter is not allergic to medication (Zabel, 2012). Before the start of the process, a nurse realizes that the room does not have reperfusion solution. Even though the chief medic criticized that idea, a viable solution was offered, and the transplant became successful.
Before watching the movie, it was not easy to believe that the use of checklist could change the results of the surgery. However, it is evidently clear after watching the movie, that checklist can improve the outcome of surgery. It improved communication between Benton and the Chief surgeon thereby leading to a successful surgery. The surgery in this context only became successful after the introduction of a checklist (Walker, Reshamwalla & Wilson, 2012). By using a checklist, the chief surgeon and the nurses understood their responsibilities and realized that Dr. Carter was not allergic to medication before starting the surgery process.
Benton realizes that every individual understands each other, their responsibilities, and the operation to be performed. They are also informed that Dr. Carter is not allergic to medication. The fact that majority of the operating team supported the use of a checklist was an obvious convincing factor that it would be suitable. Arguably, the use of a checklist could be of value to other procedures of the hospital. For instance, a checklist can enhance the procedure of patient release and transfers.
In conclusion, ER movie acts as a reference point for the next generation of doctors. The use of a checklist improved the outcome of the surgery through successful communication. Before starting the surgery, the use of a checklist ensured that those people in charge understood their responsibilities. Apart from surgery, a checklist can also be used in other procedures of the hospital.










References

Walker, I. A., Reshamwalla, S., & Wilson, I. H. (2012). Surgical safety checklists: do they improve outcomes? British journal of anaesthesia, aes175.
Zabel, D. (2012). ER (TV series). The Angus T. Jones Handbook-Everything you need to know about Angus T. Jones, 10.



© Copyright 2016 Bluemagic (geniousblacke at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098280-ER-episode