*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102888-Competition
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2102888
Flash Fiction
Competition

I hate competitions. Sports, games, guessing games, any games. Whenever I get sucked into any kind of a game, I lose as quickly as possible. Some people find this dreadful. If I let someone win they’re insulted! Like even that becomes about them rather than that they refused to let me not play. I’m just not competitive.

This concept is alien to some people. How can you not want to win? I’ve tried to explain it though it’s not easy. Not only don’t I want to win; I don’t want someone to lose. Some people think that losing builds character. I’d rather build character by letting someone spread their wings without pressure, knowing that I am there to guide, advise and if necessary, pick them up if they fall. Not to beat them, then gloat about it.

Jeannie has been a thorn in my side since she started at our office. First, everything’s a competition. Second, sidling up to the boss with a “I’m so sweet” persona, totally fake and the jerk actually falls for it. She’s good too, brings him chocolates with her polished reports, tells him how much she admires him, and how much she’s learned. I didn’t really care, but now she’s decided she wants the job that I have been waiting to open up for years while my friend Madeleine tiptoed into retirement.

Jeannie’s certainly got the boss wrapped around her little finger, but what she doesn’t know is that though I hate competitions, I can compete. Also that I was the one who found our married boss in the supply closet with Alice last year. Or that that’s how I got Alice’s job. Or even that the boss refers to me as Ice Lady behind my back. I hate competitions, but…

Game on, Jeannie.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102888-Competition