*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114340-Prequel-to-Love-In-Cheshire-Chapter-7
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #2114340
Kenny meets an old flame. Retro Fiction.
Locksford/Barfield, Cheshire.


Kenny was in the Ring O’Bells. It was early evening and the only other person in there was one of the more casual acquaintances, George. Because Kenny didn’t like George that much he made an excuse to leave and walked down to The Sportsman.

         He just got to the bar when he heard, “If you’re in the chair, Kenny, I’ll have a Cherry B.”

         He turned around. “Hello, Rachel. Did you follow me in?”

         “Well, I did yeah. I was on my way to the labour club and I spotted you. So here I am.”

         Kenny got the drinks. “So, I hear that you are getting married soon.”

         “Yeah, this time next month and I’ll be the good well-kept housewife living in a big house in Knutsford.”

         “Oh, haven’t you done well for yourself.”

         “You know I still have a soft spot for you though. Superstud I used to call you.”

         Kenny laughed. “I don’t know about that. But we did have some wild times back then.”

         “Yeah, until you went in the bloody army. Do you remember the time when my dad nearly caught you in my bed and you had to climb down the drainpipe?”

         “You were a rude young girl then, Rachel.”

         “And you were a rude young man. I still am, what about you?”

         Kenny laughed again. “Are you propositioning me, Rachel?”

         “Well, you are a free agent now aren’t you? And I still have a month of freedom as a single girl.”

         Kenny looked at Rachel’s empty glass. “Do you want another drink?”

         “Keep ‘em coming, Kenny. Umm, that should be your nickname. Keep-em-coming-Kenny.”

         Kenny laughed. “You’re off your head, you are.”

         It was closing time and they walked up town. “Aren’t you going the wrong way?” Kenny said.

         “No, I’m going home with you.”

         “You can’t stay at my house.”

         “Why?”

         “You just can’t.”

         "Do you treat it sort of like a shrine for what's-a-name?"

         "Don't be silly."

         “Okay, then if I'm banned from your house you can treat me to a night at the Station Hotel.”

         “You're a bad girl, Rachel, but I admit it sounds interesting.”

         "Yeah, and believe me, Kenny, I know a good way to keep your interest."

         They were lucky to get the last room at the hotel. Rachel was impressed that it had its own shower cubicle.

         Kenny was in bed when Rachel left the shower cubicle naked. She slipped between the covers. “That shower is great,” she said. “I wonder, what can we do now. I know. I bet Judy never did this.”

         Kenny watched in astonishment as Rachel moved her head down under the covers.

* * * * *


         Tommy walked into the Ring O’Bells the following night. Badger and his friend George were in there. “Well, guess who George saw coming out of the Station Hotel this morning?” Badger said.

         “Go on.”

         “Kenny and Rachel.”

         “You’re joking,” Tommy said.

         “No, they have been at it.”

         “Don’t go spreading rumours, Badger; they may not have been at it as you put it.”

         “Maybe, maybe not.” Badger gave one of his distinctive laughs. “Who knows, eh? But no one comes out of there in the morning after just having a drink.”

         “Where is he anyway?”

         “Probably asleep after a hectic night.”

         “I better go over and wake him up then. If you know what is good for you, you won’t mention Rachel.”

         Tommy left the bar and walked over the road, the door was locked and Tommy rapped the knocker loudly.

         Kenny was close to tears as he had been looking through Judy's letters. Though he had not answered any he had kept them all. The loud knocking brought him out of his gloom and he put the letters back in the drawer. He looked at the Blackpool photograph of him and Judy and gave a sigh before putting it away with the letters.

         He opened the street door smiling. “Hey up, Tommy Lad, I was just coming over.”

         “What on earth are you doing, Kenny?”

         “What?”

         “Did you spend the night with Rachel?”

         “Yeah, so what.”

         “You threw a lovely girl, who idolises you, out of your house and then go with the village bicycle. Rachel of all people. What do you think that will do to Judy if she finds out?”

         “That makes me and Judy equal then doesn’t it?”

         “Oh, no it don’t, Kenny. Judy made a mistake and that was getting drunk and trusting Rachel. As I see it she didn’t know what was happening and Rachel set her up with a lad who took advantage while she was paralytic drunk. You knew what was happening when you went with that slag and she’s getting married in four weeks.”

         “You seem to know a lot, Tommy. So how do you know what went on with Judy?"

         “Because I talk to her, something that you should do. For fuck's sake talk to her."

         “Don't push me, Tommy. You are stepping over the line. Just keep on and see what happens."

         Tommy laughed. "What, are you gonna beat me up? I can suffer that, Kenny, because you're beating Judy up every day."

         “Listen, if you care so much about Judy, I’ll put a good word in for you. I'm sure she will accommodate you in her bedroom.”

         “Nice! Are you gonna apologise for that load of crap?”

         “No, you are always waving the flag for her.”

         “That’s because you actually asked me to make sure she's okay and because she’s a mate. And I would never go out with her for two good reasons. One, she thinks the world of you, and two, she is well above my league.”

         “All right", Kenny shouted, "let’s stop this right here." He stared at Tommy for a moment. "I do apologise for that load of crap as you rightly called it. But it’s over Tommy lad, she broke my heart and I can’t get over it. You're right I should not have gone with Rachel. And I know I asked you to keep an eye out for Judy and I am so grateful that you do.”

         “Kenny, I think..."

         “Let me finish. You are my best mate. I think you might be Judy’s best mate as well. I think that it is you that is keeping both of us from going off the rails and I am so grateful for that as well. But I can’t get over this Tommy lad. It is over between me and Judy and you have to accept it, like I have to.”

         “Okay, Kenny, but please, no more Rachel.”

         “Agreed, now let’s go get a beer.”

 Prequel to Love In Cheshire. Chapter 9.  (18+)
Brian notices Judy at his nephew's christening. Retro fiction.
#2114229 by Bruce.


© Copyright 2017 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114340-Prequel-to-Love-In-Cheshire-Chapter-7