130 REASONS WHY SCOTS SOCCER BEATS ENGLISH AT SOCCER
|130 reasons Why Scottish Football is way, way better than English football
1. Alphabetical order; Aberdeen beat every English football and Premier League club.
2. The first British team to win the European Cup were Celtic of Scotland, before any English club.
3. No Englishman has managed a Scottish title winning team
4. Tonnes of Scotsman such as Kenny Dalglish, George Graham, Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby, and Bill Shankly have won the English league and shaped the English game.
5. Alex Ferguson has won the most English titles and is Scottish, and started his career in Scotland.
6. A few years ago a team in the Scottish third division (Glasgow Rangers) were getting attendances of over 40,000.
7. A few years ago a team in the Scottish League One (Glasgow Rangers) were getting attendances of over 40,000.
8. A team in the Scottish championship (Glasgow Rangers) get higher attendances than every English championship team and many English Premier team.
9. Scotland’s top division was called the premier before England’s was.
10. The last Englishman to manage a team to a European cup was back in 1984 compared to this century for Alex Ferguson at Man Utd.
11. A Scotsman has managed a team to the world club championship no Englishman has.
12. The smallest team to win the Scottish League is Dumbarton compared to Preston North End in England. So smaller teams can win the Scottish League.
13. The first British club to compete in the European Cup were Hibernian of Scotland.
14. Scotland has produced 4 teams to reach European trophy finals. England would need to have had 40 teams to have done that in terms of England having 10 times the population.
15. Celtic get crowds of more than 40,000 as England has 10 times the population of Scotland, there should be a club in England who get attendances of 400,000.
16. The biggest derby in Britain is Celtic v Rangers.
17. Scottish teams have more original names like Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Heart of Midlothian. In England team just use the name of their home town with at most calling themselves United or City. How boring?
18. No Englishman has managed a team to win the English Premier League Title.
19. The best English team in the Scottish League have never won the Scottish League. Berwick Rangers.
20. Scotland have won the unofficial world cup on more occasions than England.
21. Scotland have won a European Cup with a team entirely made of Scotsman. No English team has won the European cup with a team of just Englishmen.
22. Aberdeen are the only British team with a 100% record against Real Madrid.
23. Dundee United are the only British team with a 100% record against Barcelona in competitive games.
25. The record football attendance for a club game in Britain is the 1937 Scottish cup final Celtic v Aberdeen.
26. 3 Scottish clubs have knocked Barcelona out of the European Cup. As England has 10 times the population of Scotland you would need 30 English teams to have done that to Barcelona.
27. Aberdeen have never lost to Ipswich Town.
28. England’s most successful teams, Man Utd, and Liverpool have been beaten by Glasgow Celtic in the Champions League, and UEFA Cup.
29. Glasgow Celtic have beaten teams from England, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and Wales in competitive games.
30. Leeds United have been knocked out of the European cup in Battle of Britain by Celtic in seventies and Rangers in the nineties.
31. Queens Park of Scotland have reached two English FA Cup finals, while no English team has reached a Scottish FA Cup final.
32. Every Scottish FA cup and League Cup final has been held in Scotland. Some English FA Cups and English League Cup finals have been held in Wales in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.
33. No non Scottish team have ever won Scottish FA Cup or Scottish League Cup. Cardiff from Wales have won the English FA Cup and Swansea City have won the English League Cup.
34. Aston Villa have been beaten by Queens Park of Glasgow in the FA Cup.
35. Nottingham Forest have been beaten by Queens Park of Glasgow in the FA Cup.
36. Everton one of England’s most successful teams were beaten by Dunfermline in the Fairs Cup.
37. Sporting Lisbon a giant Portuguese team have been beaten by 4 Scottish clubs Celtic, Dundee, Hibs, and Glasgow Rangers, England would need to have 40 teams to have done that to Sporting Lisbon as England has 10 times the population of Scotland.
38. In Scotland small clubs of town of 40,000 people can reach the cup final. When was the last time a team from a town of 40,000 reached the final of the FA Cup final?
39. The reigning holders of the British League Cup held in 1902 are Glasgow Celtic.
40. The reigning holders of the Wembley Cup - a Cup held at and named after England’s most historic stadium are Glasgow Celtic.
41. Aberdeen have won less league titles than Everton but have won more European trophies.
42. Motherwell knocked Tottenham Hotspur out of the Anglo Scottish Cup
43. Airdrie knocked Man City out of the Anglo Scottish Cup.
44. Ayr United knocked Newcastle United out of the Anglo Scottish Cup.
45. Germany’s biggest club Bayern Munich have been beaten by 3 Scottish clubs in competitive games. As England 10 times the population you would need 30 English teams have done that to compare.
46. Glasgow Celtic have beaten China in a friendly.
47. Stirling Albion have beaten Japan in a friendly in Japan.
48. Dundee and Dundee United had the closest ground only 200 yards apart.
49.. Glasgow Rangers have the record attendance for a home club game.
50.. The record attendance for a European Cup Final was in Glasgow 1960.
51.. The first British city to host the European Cup final was Glasgow in 1960.
52.. Aberdeen beat Chelsea in 1955 in a friendly between the winners of the English and Scottish leagues.
53.. In 1937 South Africa lost 5 - 1 to Aberdeen in a friendly.
54. Manchester football club were slaughtered by Queens Park of Glasgow 15 - 0 in the FA Cup in the nineteenth century in 1883.
55. In 1888 Renton 4 beat West Brom 1 to become world champions
56. In1928 a Combined Agrentina/Uruguay lost to Motherwell 3 - 0,
57. In 1887 Hibernian beat Preston North End 2- 1, to be officially tagged as the World Championship winners.
58. In 1961 Rangers knocked Wolves out of the cup winners cup.
59. In 1938 Glasgow Celtic 1 Everton 0 Glasgow Celtic win the Empire Exhibition cup a competition of the best 8 teams in Britain,
60. Glasgow Rangers beat Germany in 1933 5-0.
61 In 1885 Port Glasgow Athletic beat Sunderland 11-1
62. In 1886 Hearts beat a Manchester Select 6-1.
63. In 1956 Dundee beat Manchester United 5 -1
64. 1875 Queens Park of Glasgow beat top English team Wanderers 5 - 0.
65. In 1878 Clapham Rovers lost 5 - 1 to Glasgow Rangers.
66. In 1881 Queens Park beat Notts County 10 - 1.
67. In 1892 Glasgow Rangers beat Liverpool 6-1.
68. In 1924 Liverpool lost to Glasgow Rangers 2 officially tagged as the British championship.
69. In 1933 Glasgow Rangers 2 Arsenal 0 officially tagged as the British title.
70. The Scottish league, under Glasgow Rangers provided England with Terry Butcher the last time England reached a World Cup Semi Final in 1990.
71. The Scottish League has a team named in the bible Queen of the South, while England has none.
72. The Scottish League has a team named after the Roman named for Ireland, Hibernian. 73. The first British team to be a finalist and runner up in the European Cup were Glasgow Celtic 1967, and 1970.
74. Celtic were the first Northern European team to win the European Cup.
75. The record defeat for a Scottish team in a European trophy final leg is 3-0 FOR Rangers v Ajax un the Super Cup. The record defeat for an English team is 6-0 Barcelona v London.
76. 7 times Scottish players have won the English football writers player of the year.
77. Hibs, Celtic and Rangers have produced players for the England international team.
78. Between 1980, and 2002, no Scottish team lost a single away game in European football to an English team.
79. Plymouth Argyle of the English League have a second part of their name, named after a region of Scotland.
80. Glasgow Rangers are the non English team who have had the most English internationals, who were capped for England, while playing for the club.
81. Glasgow Rangers have won more national league titles than any team in the world.
82. In one season two teams shared the Scottish League Title.
83. The Scottish league has had more years than the English league. As the English league was disbanded through World War One.
84. Aberdeen get higher attendances than English Premier team Bournemouth.
85. Aberdeen got further than every English team in 1986 European Cup.
86. Dundee United got further than every English team in the 1987 UEFA Cup.
87. Glasgow Rangers got further in Europe than every English team in the 1988 European Cup.
88. The first British team to reach the group stages of the European cup were Glasgow Rangers in 1992-93.
89. Aberdeen did not lose a single game in the 1985-85 European Cup, despite playing 6 games.
90. The Republic of Ireland’s top goal scorer in their history played for a period in the Scottish league for Celtic. Robbie Keane.
91. Northern Ireland’s top goal scorer played for a short period in the Scottish League for Glasgow Rangers.
92. Liverpool’s greatest ever player Kenny Dalglish started off in the Scottish league for Glasgow Celtic.
93. Scottish football has two saints in the league St Mirren and St Johnstone.
94. The first British team to reach a European Cup Semi final were Hibernian in 1955-56.
95. Dunfermline knocked West Brom out of the Fairs cup in the sixties.
96. Alex Ferguson is the only man to have managed a Scottish and English team to win the European Cup Winners Cup. He started his career in Scotland.
97. Glasgow was the first British city to host a European Cup Final.
98. The first British team to reach the final of the European cup winners cup was a Scottish team Glasgow Rangers.
99. Real Madrid have won two European Cups in Hampden Stadium, Glasgow.
100. No country smaller than Scotland has a team who have won a European Cup
101. Hearts got further than every English team in 1988-89 UEFA Cup.
102. Elgin City of Scottish League Two, beat Bray Wanderers of the League of Ireland, 2-0, in 2017.
103. Falkirk of the Scottish second tier beat Sligo Rovers 2-1 in 2017.
104. Celtic beat Astana 5 - 0 in 2017.
105. Celtic and Queen of the South have knocked Linfiled out of cup tournaments.
106. Mighty Parma have been beaten by Glasgow Rangers in the European Cup.
107. Inter Milan have been beaten by Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers.
108. Beitar Jerusalem were once knocked out of Europe by Glasgow Rangers.
110. Bala Town have been knocked out of a cup trophy by Alloa Athletic.
111. Gordon Brown the longest serving British chancellor, of the century, supported a Scottish football side.
112. Andy Murray the first Brit to win Wimbledon, in 77 years, supports Hibernian of the Scottish League.
113. Andy Murray the first Brit to be number one in the tennis world rankings, support Hibernian FC.
114. Zoltan Varga played for Aberdeen.
115. Brian Laudrup played for Glasgow Rangers.
116. Henrik Larsson played for seven years for Glasgow Celtic.
117. Only Scottish teams have played in the Scottish Premier, while Welsh teams have played in the English Premier. So the English Premier has had other nations in it.
118. Brendan Rogers won his first managerial major trophy in Scotland.
119. George Best played for Hibernian in the Scottish League.
120. A film called A shot at glory starring Ally McCoist, was made about Scottish football.
121. Celtic once went the entire competitive season in 2016-17 without losing a domestic game.
122. Lionel Messi has played against Scottish club sides Glasgow Rangers, and Glasgow Celtic in competitive games.
123. The Scottish League Cup, is older than the English League Cup.
124. The Scottish Lowland League has two university teams in it. Stirling and Edinburgh.
125. The Scottish Premier has more teams closer to the North Pole than the English Premier does.
126. The Scottish Highland League has a team called Fort William nearer Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in the UK, than any team in the English League.
127. Inverness Caledonian Thistle are closer to the Nessie, than any team in the English League.
128. Glasgow Celtic has strong charity links.
129. The Scottish League, has Stranraer, which is closer in distance, to Ireland than any English League club is to Ireland.
130. The Scottish League has more part time clubs than the English League does. So football players are closer to ordinary people.