*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150874-A-Cryptic-Choice
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2150874
Entry to Adaptive Writer's Contest.
I had just bought a house at auction and was exploring it to determine what it would take to make it ready to sell for a profit. I found it strange that I was the only one to bid on the house as i am normally fighting crowds to get a chance at winning a large Victorian home for flip for a profit. Still, I was happy I got a great deal. Upon entering the house, I was pleasantly surprised that every room was fully furnished with high end Victorian decor. Every last piece was in excellent shape as if time had no meaning inside of the house. I considered this to be a good sign; I could make a fortune on the furniture alone. Upon entering the attic, I found dozens of neatly stacked boxes and an odd ancient book lying in the middle of it all. Curiously, I was drawn to the book. If I were a superstitious man, I might have hesitated. Why would anyone leave a large book in the very center of the attic floor? The house had been untouched for decades. Eventually, curiosity got the best of me; I picked up the book and opened it. The first page had a strange piece of handwritten text in what appeared to have been blood. Intrigued, if not a bit disturbed, I read the text aloud...

Between magic and mad science you are about to dangerously tread, choose one or face a life of dread. A powerful wizard you will become if magic you decide. Equal power awaits with mad science but beware the dangers of pride. Turn one for science and two for magic; closing the book will be tragic.

Confused, I struggled what to do. I began to tremble upon hearing women quietly cackling from the shadows above me and approaching mad laughter echoing from the attic door behind me...

© Copyright 2018 Scifiwizard Retired (scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2150874-A-Cryptic-Choice