*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158442-Acting
by ATQ
Rated: E · Short Story · Arts · #2158442
He realizes something about acting.
It was funny, he thought, that they would say that.

"You're a natural!"

When one of the extras couldn't make it to the shoot they singled him out from the PA crew. It helped that he sported an impeccable undercut.

An SS Cut, as he liked hearing it called.

He did his thing, this time on camera and he overheard the cameraman mutter in surprised delight "he's good."

After the shoot they applauded the actors as he excused himself to the bathroom to change back into his all-black garb, comforting and familiar. The perfect uniform for the perfect Production Assistant, meant to stay in the background, out of frame, out of sight, out of mind.

"You're a natural!" she said to him, beaming.

He had barely heard the words, but he liked the way she smiled them.

And that's a wrap!

And he sat in his car, smoking his rolled cigarillo, deliberating, savouring each drag and watching the smoke dance away with each soft exhalation.

I'm a natural, he thought, and smiled.

He couldn't help but smile. It was funny, he thought, that they would say that.

Because while he had been deliberating he had come to realize something.

What they called acting, he realized, was something that he'd been doing his entire life.

© Copyright 2018 ATQ (atq.the.man at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2158442-Acting