*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2164917-Rebound
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2164917
Julie went to Paris on her own. But why?
Sometimes, it's not worth the effort to try and mask your feelings.

The ending to Julie's speech wasn't quite as cold as the old "we can still be friends." But close.

"Now I hope you won't be mad at me," she concluded. "Seeing Paris on my own is just something I have to do."

I shook my head, while looking down at the floor, then back up, with a grimace I couldn't contain. I moved to the door, opened it, and waved my arm to show her the exit.

At least I didn't slam it behind her.

I don't want to just blow my own horn. My mother warned me about that. But some women have found me attractive over the years. Bullies never kicked sand in my face. I drive a one year old Audi, and have a successful law practice. Requires a lot of hours. But, hey, they're billable hours.

"So, what went wrong?" I asked Bob at the Silverton Bar. "I really thought that Julie was the one."

"I seem to remember you talking about Paris back in law school," Bob replied.

OMG, he was right. I remember saying that to Julie early on.

It took a lot of cajoling of Julie's girlfriends before one of them would tell me the hotel she was booked into - Hotel Banke, 20 rue la Fayet.

Last minute tickets were expensive, but worth it. My partners were upset by the sudden departure, but proved their worth when they heard my story.

I chose a seat in the middle of the bar. Turned out to be the right choice.

"Charles, you have no idea how much I prayed this would happen," Julie screamed, as she knocked me off my stool.

Everyone in the room applauded, as we picked ourselves up.
© Copyright 2018 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2164917-Rebound