*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165698-Welcome-to-Pine-Bluff
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2165698
Audrey was new to the neighborhood and she had to understand its secrets.
Welcome to Pine Bluff


Audrey was fed up. Kris wouldn't shut up about Meyer's Woods just outside of Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Over and over again he kept saying, "These woods are haunted. They're haunted." She knew he was only trying to scare her because she'd just moved there three months ago. Why she agreed to join him in the drive into the woods at night was beyond her, and her regret became apparent quickly.

He'd taken some obscure path into the woods. Rocks and sticks smacked the car's doors and undercarriage making an awful racket in the solitude of the woodlands. His headlights bounced off tree trunks, shrubs, and the debris-laden trail. The path's flatness indicated many people had used it in the past.

"Are you ready to see some ghosts?" Kris said. The white of his eyes glowed.

"Just shut up Kris. You're not scaring me."

"Alright, you'll see. You'll see."

She smacked her lips and folder her arms as the smell of the woods filled the car. Suddenly the car rocked and she clutched the seat and armrest. He must have run into a ditch or something. After a while he pulled over.

"Why did you stop?"

"This is where the ghost is."

She swiveled toward him. "Damn, I wished you'd shut up about ghosts."

"Look!" Kris said pointing toward the windshield.

Audrey looked. An object floated from one tree to another.

"What as that?"

"I told you what was out here."

Again, the object floated then hovered. It glowed like nothing she'd seen before.

"Back up! Back up! Let's go!"

"I thought you didn't believe in ghosts."

"Get me out of here now!"

"Don't worry. I set this all up just to initiate you to the neighborhood."

Curly stepped into the Kris's headlights holding the remote control for his drone.




© Copyright 2018 Pernell Rogers (arogers270 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2165698-Welcome-to-Pine-Bluff