Everything between Jumin Han and MC was going smoothly, until she stops talking to him.
Jumin was trying not to look at her, but that proved to be impossible. She was as beautiful as always, wearing an elegant purple dress that fit her perfectly. Jumin took another sip of his wine. She was smiling. Ah, yes, her smile. He remembered it all too well. He used to make her smile that same way, but now she no longer shared those happy moments with him. No, her smile was for someone else. V...Why did it have to be V of all people? As if he wasn’t hurting enough, now he had to watch her smile and flirt with his best friend. Was she always this cruel? Has he been blind all along? Another sip of wine. A year had already passed, but he still couldn’t win the battle against the thoughts of her. They kept haunting him, cluttering his mind with questions. Why did things go wrong? Was it his fault? Did he hurt her in any way? Did she get sick of him? Has it all been just a game for her? Was he the only one with this unbearable pain in his heart? He tried to take another sip of wine, but noticed his glass was already empty. When exactly did he drink all of it?
"Tsk, this won’t do".
He called for a waiter.
One year ago
His phone screen lit up, and a familiar melody filled the quiet air in his office. Jumin couldn’t help but smile upon noticing the caller ID. She had been calling him every day, ever since she joined RFA. Whether it was to check up on how he was doing, or simply wish him a nice day at work, she never failed to brighten his mood. Having such a person in his life was something entirely new to him, but there was no doubt he enjoyed every second of it. She had quickly turned into an irreplaceable part of his daily life, and he caught himself daydreaming about her, or expecting her calls quite a few times. Teasing her and imagining the cute faces she would make was now one of his hobbies. He answered her call, using his well trained Mr. Han voice.
- Jumin Han speaking.
- Could you possibly sound any colder, Jumin?
He could literally imagine her pouting face.
“So cute”, he thought to himself.
– I thought we were growing closer, but I guess I was wrong. I demand to speak to Elizabeth the 3rd instead!
He chuckled quietly to himself, but he soon couldn’t help it, and let out his voice. There was no reaction on her side at first, since she was a bit shocked, but soon followed his chuckling with her own.
- Did I just witness THE Jumin Han chuckle? I must be dreaming.
- I assure you, none of this is a dream.
“Although, I wouldn’t mind sharing such a pleasant dream with you, my dear”, Jumin thought and mentally scolded himself for having such frivolous thoughts.
- Even if it were a dream, I don’t think I’d mind. – She answered and Jumin gulped upon hearing her vocalize his thoughts almost word by word.
Could she possibly get any cuter than this? Jumin cleared his throat.
- I’m afraid I can’t talk for long. I have a lot of work piled up on my desk, and it needs my immediate attention.
- Tsk, that’s no fun. You are always swamped with work.
- I can’t help it, it’s my job.
- Right, of course. You know, Jumin, I’ve been thinking.
The tone of her voice turned from playful to a softer and gentle one.
– Would you like to…you know, um…
- Hmm? I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re asking. Would you mind explaining more thoroughly?
“Gosh, Jumin, you aren’t making this easier, you know”, she thought to herself before gathering up enough courage to speak again.
- What I’m asking is…if you would like to… - she swallowed thickly – go…out with me?
She said the last words so quietly, Jumin almost didn’t hear them. Almost. A playful smile made its way on his lips.
- Would you mind repeating that last part? I’m not sure I heard right.
The obvious teasing in his tone was enough to make her blush.
- J-Jumin! Cut it out! I know you heard me!
- Hmm, I think I’ll need to check my schedule. I’m a busy man, you know.
- Fine, in that case I’ll ask Zen out. I am certain he will enjoy going out on a date.
She smirked to herself and was about to hang up, but his reaction was quicker than she had imagined.
Jumin nearly jumped up from his chair. His shout was enough for Jaehee to quickly knock on his door and check if everything is alright. He answered her puzzled look with a nod and a quick "I’m alright, Assistant Kang”. He punched himself mentally for reacting in this unsightly manner, and made his best effort to sound as normal as possible.
- I mean...
He cleared his throat.
- I am sure I can find some free time for you. I will ask Assistant Kang to look at my schedule and inform you…
- No, this won’t do!
She was quick to answer.
- Excuse me?
Jumin was confused to say the least.
- Jaehee already has more than enough work. I don’t want to burden her further. I actually have another idea.
- Oh? I’m listening.
- Do you have any plans for lunch today?
- Actually, no, I am free.
- Perfect! In that case, I hope you won’t mind if I join you.
- Of course not, it would be my pleasure.
- Then it’s settled!
He couldn’t help but smile upon hearing the excitement in her voice. He was just as excited as her, if not more.
- I will notify Driver Kim about our plans, so he can pick you up from a place of your comfort.
- No, that won’t be necessary!
- Jumin, I’m fine! I will take the bus. I will see you a bit later!
She hung up before he could protest any further. Jumin stared at his phone in disbelief for about a minute, before he burst out laughing.
- This girl will be the death of me…
He shook his head and answered another one of Jaehee’s puzzled looks with “I’m fine, Assistant Kang”. She was about to leave his office yet again, when he spoke up.
- By the way, Assistant Kang, make sure no one bothers me during lunch today. I have an urgent matter to take care of.
- C-certainly, Sir.
“So this is the day I finally meet her in person”. – Jumin thought to himself. He was both excited and a little bit nervous. No, very nervous actually.
- I guess this is how one would feel before a so-called date. Interesting.
- Maybe I should have worn something fancier.
MC sighed and got on the bus. She was nervous enough as it is.
“I don’t think Jumin cares about these things, but I still hope I look good.”
She fixed her hair for the tenth time since she left the flat.
“Ok, no more mirrors!”
She quickly put the small pocket mirror back in her handbag, and tried to occupy her mind with something else. The weather outside was pleasant to say the least. It was a habit of hers to always look for seats next to a window whenever she traveled with a bus. That way she could let her gaze wander outside, while her mind was preoccupied with all kinds of fantasies. MC was so lost in her thoughts, that she almost missed her stop. She quickly stood up and left the bus. There was a 5 minute walk from the bus stop to her destination. More than enough for her to relax, and get rid of her nervousness. Or at least she hoped so. MC could already see the tall building. She ran her hands down her dress to fix an imaginary crease, and checked her watch. Right on time. Jumin had sent her a message earlier, which said he will be waiting for her outside the C & R Building. She looked around curiously, and found him almost immediately. He was wearing his usual business suit, his hands were nestled inside his trouser pockets, and his black hair was swaying gently from the breeze.
- Is it even possible to be this gorgeous?! - MC mumbled under her breath, and that’s when an idea popped in her mind.
She was careful not to get noticed when she sneaked behind his back and covered his eyes with her hands.
- Guess who!
She smirked, but what Jumin did next left her speechless. He took her hands in his, moved them from his eyes and gently placed kisses on each one of them.
MC quickly pulled her hands away, embarrassed.
– What if it wasn’t me, but someone else? What would you have done then?
Jumin turned around and gave her a warm smile.
- That’s not possible.
- How so?
She blinked, genuinely surprised.
- It’s simple. None of my acquaintances would ever do such a thing, and besides there is no way I could mistake your cute voice.
His comment made her turn bright red.
- I guess that makes me special then.
- Quite special, my dear.
He offered her his hand.
– Shall we go inside?
MC took his hand, while also trying to hide the blushing mess of a human she had become. They went inside the spacious lobby, where Jumin was greeted by a bunch of co-workers and personnel. He led her to the elevator, which took them up to what seemed like the C & R Company’s personal restaurant.
- I apologize I can’t take you anywhere special today, but I’m afraid I can’t leave the building for now due to my busy schedule.
- Jumin, you don’t need to apologize. I came to see you. The place where we will have lunch isn’t that important.
She gave him such a warm smile, that he had to stop himself from grabbing her and kissing her then and there. Instead, Jumin made his best effort to ignore such urges, and they both made their way to a table right next to one of the big windows.
- Is there anything in particular you would like to eat?
- If you don’t mind, can you please choose for me? I trust you will pick something tasty.
“I am too nervous to eat anyway” – MC thought to herself.
- Alright then. I do have something in mind, and I am quite certain you will like it.
Jumin quickly called the waiter and took care of their order. In no time they were already enjoying their lunch, stopping frequently to discuss aspects of both of their lives, or to look for common interests. She was quite impressed by Jumin’s common knowledge. He was apparently very curious, and enjoyed reading books on all kinds of different subjects. From time to time, he did his best to make good jokes, but failed so much. That fact alone made her laugh wholeheartedly. Her laugh was something that made Jumin’s heart jump in joy. At one point MC wasn’t even aware that she was staring at him, so when that didn’t change for about two whole minutes, Jumin finally spoke.
- Not that I really mind, my dear, but I can’t really concentrate on eating like this.
She asked before the realization hit her.
– Oh my God, I’m so sorry!
She turned bright red.
– I didn’t mean to stare like this. It’s just…you look so…beautiful. It’s hard not to stare.
MC hadn’t even finished her sentence when Jumin choked on his food, and started coughing.
- Jumin! Are you alright?!
She immediately went to him and started patting his back. She was relieved when he finally managed to swallow properly, and looked at her to assure her that he’s fine now. When he did that, both of them were suddenly very aware of how close to each other they are. MC was the first one to react by quickly going back to her seat, her obvious blush not going unnoticed by Jumin. He was also blushing slightly when he spoke up.
- Now, what were you saying about me being beautiful?
Jumin smirked devilishly.
“This should be good enough to fluster her”, he thought to himself and took another bite of his meal. She raised an eyebrow, and answered in a completely calm manner.
- I was telling you how handsome you are, and because of that it’s hard to focus on eating.
Jumin choked on his food yet again. This time he swallowed much more quickly, gesticulating to her that he’s alright and she doesn’t need to worry.
- I have the slightest suspicion you are trying to kill me.
Jumin chuckled lightly and looked her way.
- Not really what I have in mind. I actually have a few different ideas.
MC licked her lips and moved closer to him. She pulled on his tie slightly and whispered in his ear.
“If we were alone right now, I would cover your beautiful face in kisses.”
Jumin swallowed thickly, his hand quickly springing up to call the waiter and pay him. After doing so, he turned to her.
- You need to come with me, now!
He grabbed her hand gently and quickly led her outside the restaurant. Her eyes widened but she followed after him. When the elevator doors closed behind them, Jumin pushed her against one of the walls and grabbed her face in his hands. His kiss was nowhere near gentle. It was deep and demanding, making it hard for her to follow his rhythm. Almost out of breath, MC was finally able to free herself from the kiss.
- Ju-jumin, wait! What if someone sees us?
Jumin studied her flushed face, his own painted in a light pink blush.
- My dear, I must say, you taste exquisite.
He licked his lips and smirked.
- I couldn’t have asked for a better dessert. – He answered her awaiting question with a bold statement.
- Don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything HERE.
- What is that supposed to…
But before she could ask, the elevator reached the desired floor and Jumin grabbed her hand again. He quickly took her to his office, and locked the door behind them. Lucky for him, Jaehee was still away on her lunch break. MC tried to speak again, but he quickly covered her lips with a finger and picked her up in his arms. Jumin wrapped her legs around his waist and captured her lips in another series of kisses. He stopped to look deep in her eyes.
- Before I continue any further, I need to know you also desire the same. If your wish is for me to stop, I will do so immediately. But if you don’t stop me now, I don’t think I will be able to hold back.
She couldn’t look away from him. His eyes were full of desire. They were both breathing heavily, their bodies pressed tightly together. MC was more than aware of her own desires, and there was no way she would say “No” to this wonderful man in front of her. She wrapped her fingers around his beautiful hair and pulled on it slightly. Her tongue formed a wet line from his neck up to his ear, which she bit playfully before whispering: “I believe this answers your question”. That was all Jumin needed to quickly move them both to his desk, where he placed her down after pushing a few papers on the floor, and his hands started exploring her body through the sheer blue dress. He kept kissing her passionately, his tongue sliding between her lips and playing with her own.
- Mmm, Jumin.
Her quiet moans were fuel to his own desire, which was growing painfully. He took her hand in his and guided it down to his pants, where he placed it on his crotch.
- See what you do to me, my dear? I want you so much.
He breathed against her ear, which made her shiver slightly. Just before she could respond in any way, there was a knock on the door.
- Excuse me, Mr. Han. Are you back from your lunch break?
Jaehee spoke from behind the door.
- I just received an important call, which I need to discuss with you.
- Damn it! - Jumin hissed under his breath.
He got off of MC, helped her get up and they both fixed their clothes as much as possible.
- I will be out in a bit, Assistant Kang.
Jumin answered before he turned to MC, and gave her a gentle kiss.
- I’m so sorry for the interruption, my dear. I’m afraid we will need to leave our little game for another time.
Jumin gave her another kiss, a bit more deep, but still gentle, before he hugged her tight. She hugged him back, and closed her eyes.
- That’s alright, Jumin, I know you’re a busy man.
She gave him a warm smile.
– Thank you for the wonderful lunch. Now, let’s not make Jaehee wait too long.
MC went out of the office first, which gave Jaehee quite the shock, especially when she was suddenly hugged tight.
- I am so happy to finally meet you in person, Jaehee!
Jumin answered his assistant’s puzzled look with a brief explanation. After a bit MC said her goodbyes, and when she was out of sight, Jumin was the first to speak up.
- Cute, isn’t she?
Was Jaehee seeing things? No, his eyes were definitely sparkling. He looked like a kid on Christmas.
- Y-yes, yes, of course. – She answered and followed Jumin in his office, still quite confused by the whole situation.
MC went to C & R to see Jumin a few more times after their restaurant date. He was usually very busy, and their meetings consisted of quick greetings and a few kisses, before she would wish him good luck with his work, and leave. They kept talking on the phone and messaging each other as usual. He did warn her his schedule will be tighter than usual, but MC wasn’t worried. She trusted him completely, and was as patient as possible. Although, whenever Jumin gave her one of those wonderful deep kisses only he was capable of, a tempting voice inside of her mind kept reminding her of their bodies entangled on top of his desk. MC never voiced those desires in front of Jumin, because she didn’t want to seem impatient. She, of course, wasn’t the only one that felt this way. Jumin was faced with those same desires, and their short meetings only left him desiring more. But he had made a decision to be a better gentleman this time, and wait until they have a proper first date. He was spacing out a lot the last few days, and Jaehee had to constantly check if he was actually listening to her, or not. She was smart enough to know the reason behind his condition, but if she had to be completely honest with herself, she didn’t really mind the change in him. On the contrary, she was excited that her boss had finally found someone special. MC was indeed very special, and Jaehee could also see that in the RFA chats. Everyone seemed to adore her and she did her very best as the new party coordinator. Everyone was happy, a rare occasion, which wasn’t going to last for long.
- Did you find out anything new?
- Yes, he started seeing this girl only recently. Nothing special, she went to visit him in his office a couple of times, and they had lunch once. I don’t think we have anything to worry about.
- Don’t be so naïve. Sometimes even one date is more than enough. Not to mention this is Jumin Han we are talking about. The only attention he pays to women is when he is about to close a deal with them. We need to act fast!
- What can we do?
- For starters, you should pay him a visit in his penthouse. I already spoke with his father about it, so you can use that as your reason.
- But what if he refuses to see me?
- Well, you will just have to figure something out on your own. Try to be more resourceful. I can’t decide everything for you!
- O-of course, I will see what I can think of.
- Good girl. Now, run along, and make sure to bring back good news.
- Who did you say is looking for me?
Jumin wasn’t sure why someone he didn’t know would visit him so late at night.
- A woman by the name of Sarah Choi, Mr. Han. She told me your father is aware of her visit. Should I let her in?
- S..arah Choi?
Jumin kept searching through his mind for a hint to who that might be, but he couldn’t remember ever hearing her name. He let out a deep irritated sigh. The combination of his father and an unknown woman was never good news. Whatever the whole deal is, if he sends her away now, his father would probably insist on their eventual meeting, and Jumin didn’t favor that idea even a bit.
– Alright, tell her to come in.
Jumin made his way back to the sofa, where Elizabeth the 3rd was awaiting his company. A moment later Sarah walked in, and announced her presence.
- Hey there, Jumin! – She squealed in a loud and annoying tone, which Jumin instantly hated.
“Hey there?” Didn’t anyone teach this woman basic etiquette?” – Jumin thought to himself, displeasure written all over his face. He studied her for a second before his gaze went back to Elizabeth the 3rd, who was positioning herself in his lap.
- I don’t believe we’ve met.
A simple statement with no eye contact from Jumin’s side, followed by a sip from his glass of wine.
- Ah, but I know your father. You see, I happen to be Glam Choi’s sister.
Jumin struggled not to make a grimace upon hearing the mention of his father’s new woman.
– Your father and my sister are in a very serious relationship. Don’t you think that basically makes you and me family?
Jumin nearly choked on his drink.
- Don’t be ridiculous.
He answered bluntly.
– My father’s relationships have nothing to do with me, and I have no interest in a woman like you.
Jumin said the last words with obvious disgust in his voice, which made Sarah shiver in anger, but she did her best not to let it show. At that moment Jumin’s phone started ringing. MC was calling him, and the smile on his face didn't go unnoticed by Sarah.
"It's that annoying girl, huh?", Sarah thought to herself. Jumin gladly excused himself to speak to MC in the kitchen. Sarah huffed, and in her anger pushed Elizabeth the 3rd off of the sofa, and sat down in her place. She hissed at Sarah, and left the room in search of Jumin.
- Even his damn cat has a horrible attitude. But don’t you worry, Jumin, things will change pretty quickly, and I will make sure of that.
A sinister grin formed on her lips. She dug into her handbag, in search of a small package. Upon finding it, she poured the contents inside of Jumin’s glass of wine.
- Time to have a little fun.
She poured another glass of wine, positioned herself comfortably on the sofa, and awaited Jumin’s return. When he came back from the kitchen, Sarah sent a flirty smile his way, and stood up to hand him his glass of wine.
- I hope you don’t mind. I was hoping to at least join you until you finish your wine.
Jumin took the glass from her hand with obvious annoyance, and gulped down its contents in less than a second.
- As you can see, I am already done with my drink. When you are done with your own, call someone from security to accompany you outside. It’s not acceptable for a woman to be in a man’s house at this hour, especially one she is NOT acquainted with.
Jumin emphasized on the last part, which made Sarah’s insides burn in anger.
– Now, excuse me, I have work early in the morning.
Jumin made his way to the bedroom, but the strength suddenly left his body. He felt dizzy, and collapsed on the floor.
- Hahaha, my, my, Jumin, what a pitiful state you’re in.
Sarah moved next to him.
– Don’t you worry, I will take good care of you, and have a little fun while I’m at it.
She picked him off the floor and moved him to his bed. She kicked Elizabeth the 3rd away when she tried to reconcile with her owner.
- Go away, you annoying fur ball!
She closed the door, and turned her attention back to Jumin.
- Now, let’s see what the great Jumin Han is all about.
Sarah made quick work of his clothes and underwear, and almost whistled in amazement.
– Would you look at that? Definitely exceeded my expectations.
She licked her lips, a hungry look in her eyes, but quickly reminded herself of what she was here for. She took her phone out from her handbag, and placed it on the bedside table. She undressed herself completely, climbed on top of Jumin, and positioned herself.
- I wasn’t going to make the photos this graphic, but you were extremely rude to me, Jumin.
She snapped the first photo, which with the right angle showed her riding on top of Jumin, whose sleeping face she was careful not to capture. A lot of naughty thoughts passed through her mind, but Sarah dismissed them and concentrated on the task at hand. She pulled the covers on top of Jumin, and snuggled next to him, where she took another photo of her smiling and Jumin sleeping next to her. She let out a satisfied chuckle, got up to put her clothes back on, dressed Jumin so he wouldn't suspect anything in the morning, and left the bedroom in search of his phone. When the door was finally open, Elizabeth the 3rd quickly went into the bedroom, climbed on the bed and snuggled next to her owner, letting out a quiet dissatisfied meow. When Sarah finally found Jumin’s phone, she checked his call history and wrote down the number in her own phone. She then sent the photos she just took to the unsuspecting MC with a brief message that said: “If I were you, I wouldn’t cling to a man when he’s engaged to another woman. Walk away, while you still have your dignity.” Sarah then took the sim card out of Jumin's phone, broke it in half and put it in her pocket. She made sure she didn’t leave anything behind, and left the penthouse, not even bothering to pay attention to the bodyguards on her way out. She called her sister, and announced the success of their plan.
- Wh…at…What…is this?
MC could only stare at the photos in disbelief. She couldn’t sleep that night, rolling around in her bed, her head flooded with all kinds of thoughts. At one point she gave up altogether on trying to sleep.
- This won’t do. I need to speak with Jumn tomorrow…
- God, my head hurts!
Jumin struggled with opening his eyes. When he finally succeeded, he blinked a few times, before he nearly jumped out of bed.
- Morning already? I never sleep so long…Did I have too much to drink, or something?
He thought about it for a second, trying to remember the events that took place last night. He met with that annoying woman. What was her name again? Whatever, not important. He finished his glass of wine, and sent her away. He didn’t drink anymore, or at least he didn’t remember doing so. Actually, Jumin didn’t even remember going to bed.
- Well, that’s weird…
- What is weird, son?
Jumin heard a familiar voice, and looked up to see his father standing next to the door to his bedroom.
- Father? To what do I owe this visit?
“You never visit me in the penthouse”, was a thought Jumin kept to himself.
- I can’t come and visit my own son?
- You know very well that’s not what I mean.
Jumin spoke in a calm manner, even while his headache was practically trying to kill him.
- In that case, I will skip straight to my main reason.
- Please, do so.
- An excellent deal has presented itself before me.
While he spoke, Jumin got out of bed and headed for his wardrobe to choose a suit.
– You really shouldn’t sleep in tight dress shirts, you know? Why don’t you wear something more comf…
- It’s very unusual for you to act like a father figure.
Jumin interrupted his father.
- I am more than fine, don’t concern yourself. What about that business deal?
- Ah, yes.
He cleared his throat.
– I’ve had my eyes on them for a while now. It’s a Japanese company, which produces their own coffee brands. They are getting famous all over the world. I think that’s a wonderful opportunity for us to expand our horizons. They are in need of extra financial support, but are also very strict about their work, and have quite a few conditions that need to be fulfilled. In my opinion, you are perfect for the job. What I need from you is to leave for Japan, discuss and evaluate the whole situation carefully, and if it’s in our best interest, close the deal with them.
- Coffee, huh? I guess that sounds like a good new opportunity for the company.
- Oh, and one more thing. I have arranged for you and your assistant to fly to Japan today. Your flight leaves in 4 hours. She has already prepared herself, and is waiting for you. You two will stay in Japan for 4 days, and close the deal during that period of time.
- I understand. I will do my best.
Jumin gave a bow to his father.
– Now, please excuse me, but I need to take a shower and dress myself.
- There's something else I want to discuss with you.
His father stopped him in his tracks.
– It’s about Sarah Choi, I believe you two already met.
Jumin flinched upon hearing that name.
- I have nothing to discuss about her, and I couldn’t care less for a woman of her kind.
- Alright, I understand, let’s leave the subject for another time. I will see you in a couple of days, son. Make sure to bring good news.
His father answered, while leaving the room.
- More busy days my way, huh?
Jumin immediately thought of MC.
– I miss her, but I guess it can’t be helped for now.
He headed for the bathroom.
Jumin kept thinking about MC during the whole flight to Japan. Jaehee tried to discuss their new project with him, but gave up once she saw how little attention he was paying, and decided to leave it be for now. While Jumin was on his way to Japan, MC had almost reached his office. She couldn’t bring herself to talk with him on the phone; she needed to see him in person. There had to be a good explanation to all of this, and she wanted to hear it from him. Maybe she was being foolish, but MC didn’t really care at this point.
When she finally reached his office, she was already out of breath after running for the most of the way. MC was just about to knock on the door, when she heard footsteps behind her.
- I wouldn’t do that, if I were you. My son is busy with his fiancé.
She turned around and was faced with Chairman Han himself. Jumin hadn’t officially introduced them, but she had seen the man countless times on TV.
- With all due respect, Mr. Han, but I have something important to discuss with your son.
She summoned all the courage she could not to let her voice tremble.
- I guess you don’t really understand your situation. Allow me to explain it to you. I don’t know what kind of “relationship” you have with him.
The way he emphasized on the word relationship, with obvious mocking in his voice, made her angry right down to her core.
- But there are a few things you need to remember. My son is a very important business figure. He will one day become the head of this company, and as one he will need a suitable companion next to him. A woman from his own circle. As far as I am informed, you don’t match those criteria. Or am I wrong?
She tried to swallow the big lump stuck in her throat.
– Yes…you are correct…But, even so, I don’t think…
- In that case, I don’t see why you’re still here - he interrupted her.
The way the Chairman spoke was calm, and yet it was more than clear he won’t tolerate any disobedience or difference in opinions.
“How cruel, just like a real businessman. “ – She thought to herself. - “I wonder if Jumin will become like him…”
- I understand your position, Mr. Han, but this is a private matter between Jumin and me, and…
- I see you are a stubborn one, which might explain why Jumin personally asked me to get rid of you.
Her heart clenched in pain.
– What…do you mean?
- My guess is you were becoming troublesome, and he got tired of dealing with you. That’s when he turned to me, and asked me for my assistance. As his father, it is my duty to protect my son from such unpleasant situations.
She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Jumin…got tired of her? She was being a nuisance? But…what about everything they shared, all those happy moments? Why would he kiss her? What about when they almost...Was this…just a game to him? A game he got tired of? No…that can’t be true… Jumin isn’t like that…But, what if he was, and she was the idiot for falling for him? MC was on the verge of tears.
“I need to get out of here, before I humiliate myself even further”.
- I see you are finally starting to understand. From now on, I suggest you stay away…
This time she was the one to interrupt him.
- Have a nice day, Mr. Han.
She spoke to him with as little emotion in her voice as she could manage, refusing to look him in the eyes, and quickly headed for the elevator. Once she was out of his sight, the Chairman sighed and mumbled under his breath.
- I wonder if it was necessary to go to such lengths…
- Of course it was!
Glam Choi emerged from Jumin’s empty office.
- I think we both agree that in order for Sarah and Jumin to be together, we need to get rid of all possible nuisances. They deserve the same happiness we share. Don’t you agree, Darling?
- Yes, yes, of course.
MC pressed the button for the first floor, and slowly collapsed on the ground when the elevator started moving. She hugged her knees and started sobbing quietly.
- It might be better this way – she said to herself in between sobs – At least he won’t get to see this pitiful side of me, crying for him as if he was ever mine. I’m so pathetic…
She stood up and tried to wipe all the tears away with the sleeves of her shirt. She looked at her phone. What if… A tiny glimpse of hope sparkled in her eyes. Maybe, just maybe…Her heart started beating faster. She quickly dialed his number, not giving herself any chance to start hesitating. It felt like her heart might jump out of her chest, while she waited impatiently.
“The number you are trying to reach is either disconnected, or is no longer in service”
The call disconnected. MC kept the phone next to her ear for more than a minute, before the hand which was holding it dropped down next to her body. She wanted to cry, she wanted to scream from the pain that was pressing down on her heart. But all she could do was just stand there in silence. MC felt suffocated in this small space. She wanted to get out of there, to get out of this building. Right then the elevator doors opened and she ran outside. She bumped into a bunch of people, but couldn’t bring herself to apologize. She needed to get out of there as soon as possible. She ran for as long as she could, before her legs gave up and she stopped to catch her breath.
- Are you okay, Miss?
She looked up and saw a little girl, which was looking at her curiously. MC forced a smile on her face and patted the girl’s head gently.
- I’m fine…Yeah, I will be fine. Don’t worry.
That night she was going through the chats in the RFA app. After a couple of minutes she closed the app, and sighed. She didn’t have any desire to talk, and there weren’t any messages from either Jumin or Jaehee. MC silently apologized to all of them, and promised to herself to answer all of their messages tomorrow. She looked at her phone, and tried to dial Jumin's number yet again. The same dreadful message. He hadn’t answered any of her calls and messages. He wouldn't call her the next couple of days either.
MC was having dinner when she heard an announcement on TV:
“We have just received news involving the famous businessman Jumin Han.”
She froze in her spot and listened carefully.
“Apparently, he is in a serious relationship with a woman named Sarah Choi, and they are planning to get married In the near future. Today, to talk about this sudden announcement, we have invited none other than Sarah Choi…”
She turned the TV off. So, it was true…That woman wasn’t lying…She really is engaged to Jumin…They are getting married…Married…
- It’s over…It’s all over…
- Tsk, this is so irritating…
Jumin was running out of patience after his phone refused to work yet again.
- Assistant Kang, can you please lend me your phone once more? I need to contact my father before we leave back for Korea.
- Of course, Mr. Han.
Jaehee handed Jumin her phone. Both of them were completely exhausted after spending 4 whole days doing research on the Japanese coffee company, going on meetings every single day and making negotiations with them, in order to meet all of their conditions. In Jumin’s opinion, everything seemed a bit too much and over the top. Jaehee also had a suspicion something wasn’t completely right in the whole situation. But every single time they spoke to the Chairman and voiced their concerns, he would always assure them they’re worrying too much, and it’s all going according to plan. So, there wasn’t really much room for protest, and all they had left was to do their best.
- Thank you once again, Assistant Kang. We should get going, our flight will leave soon.
- Mr. Han.
Jaehee stopped him in his tracks, just as Jumin was about to head to his room.
- Are you sure you don’t want to call MC? You haven’t spoken to her in a while. Not to mention she hasn’t been active in the RFA chatroom…
Jumin took a deep breath, and massaged his temples.
- No, I am in no state to talk with her right now. I trust she is doing fine, and she has a good reason for her actions. After we’re back home, I will meet her as soon as possible. So, no need to worry, Assistant Kang. Now, let us pack our luggage, and head for the airport.
“He didn’t even question my reasons to be this worried about him and MC. He must really be exhausted.”- Jaehee thought to herself and began packing. – “I hope she’s alright…”
- The preparations are complete, sister.
- Perfect, make sure to be at the airport on time. Jumin doesn’t suspect anything, so this is our chance. If you want to be his wife, you need to be on your best behavior. And this time stick with the plan. No more improvising like during your visit to his penthouse. If that girl shows the photos to Jumin, or releases them publicly, we will be faced with a huge scandal.
- Y-yes, I understand and apologize for my mistakes, sister.
Upon exiting the airport, Jumin and Jaehee were faced with a huge crowd of reporters. Even the bodyguards were having a hard time trying to keep them away.
- Mr. Han, are the rumors true??
- What rumors?
Jumin asked, quite confused. What happened while they were both gone?
- The rumors about your engagement.
- I don’t know who spreads such rumors, but I am not engaged to anyone. Now, if you’ll please excuse me…
Jumin headed in the direction of the limo, waiting for them.
- But Sarah Choi herself spoke about your engagement on TV! – Another reporter added.
Jumin stopped dead in his tracks, and turned around to face that same reporter.
- Excuse me?
He had a deadly ice cold look in his eyes, and most of the reporters froze in their spots.
- Mr. Han, let's leave, we are expected in the office.
Jaehee tried to take Jumin away, but at that moment Sarah Choi arrived out of nowhere. The second the reporters noticed her, she was already moving towards Jumin, and wrapping her arms around him. A sea of camera flashes made sure to capture that scene.
- Jumin, darling, I missed you so much! I couldn’t wait anymore, so I decided to come and meet you here!
Jaehee was in complete shock, while Jumin couldn’t even move a muscle. His headache, combined with the huge commotion going on around them, and the screeching voice of this horrible woman was proving impossible to handle for too long. He had to get out of there as soon as possible.
- Get your dirty hands off of me.
Jumin mumbled under his breath.
- Hmm? What did you say Jumin, darling? I couldn’t hear from all the noise arou…
- I said; Get your dirty hands off of me!!!
Sarah jumped away from Jumin, and all the reporters suddenly grew silent.
- Assistant Kang, get me out of here, please.
- Y-yes, Sir!
Jaehee recovered from her previous shock upon hearing the begging in Jumin’s voice, and proceeded to escort him to their limousine.
- Mr. Han! Why did you treat your fiancé in such a cold way?
The reporters followed them all the way to the vehicle. Jumin went inside, and turned to the crowd one last time.
- I am not engaged to this woman, and never will be! Driver Kim, take us out of here.
- Yes, Sir.
The reporters gathered around Sarah Choi.
- Miss Choi, can you explain your fiancé’s behavior?
- Ah, he’s probably just tired from his long business trip. I am sure everything will be back to normal soon. Please, excuse me.
She quickly made her escape through the sea of reporters.
- Are you out of your mind, Father?!?
Jumin stormed in the Chairman’s office, as soon as he and Jaehee arrived at C & R.
- I suggest you have a little more respect, and watch your tone with me…
- Did you really think something like this would work out??
Jumin interrupted his father, too exhausted and angry to pay attention to his manner of speaking, or surroundings. Jaehee didn’t even attempt to stop him. She was just as shocked and upset with the whole situation. Chairman Han had crossed the line big time.
- I told you, didn’t I? I have no intention of having any relationship with that woman! And yet, you went behind my back and arranged this ridiculous engagement. I don’t care who you date, but I won’t allow you to interfere with my personal life!
- You need a suitable companion by your side, and Sarah is more than perfect for…
- By whose standards?!? The ones of your new girlfriend, who happens to be her sister? They are just a bunch of gold diggers. Nothing different from the usual women you go out with!
Jaehee gasped and covered her face with her hands. Chairman Han had just slapped his son.
- I won’t allow you to speak that way about Glam. She will soon become your mother-in-law, and you will respect her. Is that clear?
Jumin burst out in a maniacal laughter.
- You will never learn, will you, Father? Fake respect and fake love can only go so far. I don’t have the time, nor the desire to waste my respect on someone, who will soon be replaced anyway.
Jumin turned around, and didn’t pay any attention to his father’s angry shouts. He stopped right before exiting the door.
- I will say this for the last time. I will not marry that annoying woman. All these years I have been loyal to our company, and worked as a slave every single day. Whenever business was involved, I never failed to listen to your advice and follow in your path. You are a wonderful businessman, but when it comes to women, you are blind and clueless. And I won’t let that blindness take over my personal life. Assistant Kang, we’re leaving.
- Yes, Mr. Han.
She bowed to Chairman Han, and left after Jumin. The Chairman let out a long sigh, and leaned down on his chair.
- That boy…he is as stubborn as it gets.
A small smile appeared on his lips.
– I taught him well.
Jumin stormed in his office, followed by Jaehee. He stomped nervously around the room.
- Mr. Han, please, try and calm down. Nothing good will come out of getting this angry.
- How am I supposed to calm down, Assistant Kang?!?
Jumin’s shout resonated around the office. Upon noticing the change in Jaehee’s expression, he tried to resume the control over his trembling voice.
- Excuse me, Assistant Kang...The stress has been getting to me lately…Thank you for being by my side, and doing a perfect job…I just need some time to collect my thoughts…
Jaehee couldn’t help but feel bad when she saw Jumin’s tired and pained expression. She summoned her courage, and moved closer to him.
- Mr. Han, it probably won’t be very professional of me, but…
She slowly and carefully wrapped arms around Jumin’s body, and embraced him while her hand ran through his hair. Jumin was so surprised, he couldn’t even move.
- Everything is going to be alright. I am by your side, and will assist you in whatever way possible. So, you can always lean on me. It’s okay to let it out once in a while.
Her voice was warm and soothing, and Jumin could no longer help himself. He hugged her back, and let the stress slowly escape his body.
- Thank you…Assis…No…Thank you, Jaehee.