*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179186-A-Good-Day
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #2179186
Spending time with an elderly lady
A Good Day

Her bones are frail and tiny in my hand as I support her slow steady walk on the sidewalk.
I glance over and notice the silver hair and the determined line of her mouth.
She wants to go shopping today to her favorite shop.
As we slowly make our way through the mall, she comments about the price of things these days and how the fashions have changed.
I didn't realize that she would even notice fashion at her age.
We pass a drugstore and she wants to go in and get a new lipstick.
I am surprised that she wants lipstick and am struck with the realization that the need to look pretty and care about how you look does not fade with passing of years and the changes in one's physical appearance.
In that moment I see her in her younger days- excited about the latest fashion, colors and lipstick.
I see a vibrant young woman with all her hopes and dreams -trapped in an aging failing and frail body.
She tries a lovely rosy pink lipstick and smiles- her youthful inner soul shining through.
I tell her it is perfect and we share a smile.
I support her arm once again and head to the cashier.
It has been a good outing today.
© Copyright 2019 Peacelady (peacelady at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179186-A-Good-Day