*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199507-Broken-Bondage
by Mr.Owl
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2199507
Amos outwits his captor.
“For last time you wretched sprite, give it here!” Meridia growled and lunged for the fairy.

“NEVER!” The fairy, Amos, shouted and dove from Meridia’s reach.

The object Meridia sought was the leather cuff now floating at Amos’ side as he zoomed around Meridia’s laboratory.
The cuff bound Amos to Meridia. The crystal at its center, holding a drop of his blood, and the runic spell burnt into the leather around it kept him obedient and let Meridia steal his magic. At least as long as she held it in her possession.

Amos waited years for Meridia to grow careless, complacent. His patience was rewarded earlier that night as she drank too much wine. Once passed out from the drink Amos stole the cuff.

Stealing the cuff wasn’t enough though. It had to be destroyed to truly free him, which proved difficult as Meridia had protected it from his magic with a spell.

“You will regret this defiance!” Meridia roared as she cast a fireball at him. Amos zoomed from its path and upended a table full of elixirs.

Meridia swore as the elixirs mixed and smoked while Amos dove under the bed and gather his wits. While Meridia worked to clear the smoke Amos examined the cuff and found a small scorch mark. Meridia hadn’t protected it from her magic.

Amos flew from under the bed, and finding Meridia’s back to him, threw an orb of magic at the back of her head.

“You missed!” Amos called hatefully.

Meridia turned, snarling, and lobbed another fireball at him. At the last moment, Amos moved the cuff between him and the flame. The light of the fire lit Meridia’s distraught face as the cuff and crystal exploded.

“You aren’t the boss of me anymore.” Amos hissed and Meridia paled.
© Copyright 2019 Mr.Owl (mr.owl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199507-Broken-Bondage