*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2200537-Bad-Luck-for-Linda
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2200537
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge: Linda meets Ms. Grater for the first time.

Little Linda quietly crept out the back door, closing it ever so gently to avoid bringing attention to herself and her intentions. Walking through her backyard, crunching all the dead, fallen leaves along the way, she made it to Ms. Grater's fence unnoticed. She took one last look around before she slithered her tiny frame in between two fence posts.

Ms. Grater's garden was eerily beautiful. There must've been millions of flowers, all different colors. There were garden gnomes around every turn and tons of wind chimes that sang the most enchanting songs. This was Linda's favorite place, but not even Ms. Grater knew she came almost every day.

Linda decided that today she'd venture into the furthest part of the garden, the part that she never explored before, since it gave her chills and made her arms all goose-bumpy. She mustered up the courage and slowly proceeded.

There was a thick fog in this part of the garden. There were no flowers, garden gnomes or wind chimes. The ground was caked with mud, and a small, broken-down shed was barely holding on to its frame. She crept to the door of the shed and went to turn the rusty door knob, when she heard a raspy voice scream, "Don't do that! It's bad luck!"

Frightened, Linda opened the door and ran inside. There were jars filled with unknown liquids, strange carvings on the walls, and books on something called "Black Magick." Ms. Grater followed behind her, chanting words she didn't understand.

Linda ran from the shed petrified. Her heart pounding, she ran back through the garden to her own yard, and straight into her house.

Ms. Grater smirked and went back inside.

- to be continued...


© Copyright 2019 R. Engels (beckamay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2200537-Bad-Luck-for-Linda